Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best IFR airfield for Munich

Seems like Augsburg gets well reviewed and is a far more cost effective option than Munich EDDM. Any thoughts or other ideas?

EGTK Oxford

Hi!

Augsburg is an excellent alternative to EDDM, especially if you need to go to the western part of Munich. For the northern and northeastern parts, Ingolstadt (ETSI) may be even better. And in the southwest, there is Memmingen (EDJA), "Munich South" in Ryanair speak ;-)

The very best would be Oberpfaffenhofen (EDMO) but severe restrictions apply, you probably will only get permission to fly there for maintenance. If they do maintenance for SEP aircraft at all.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Thanks. Distance to my destination is the same for both and Augsburg seems to have the best hours.

Should be fun.

EGTK - Cannes - Augsburg - Vilshofen - Koln - EGTK.

EGTK Oxford

Tell me how you manage to book that as business expenses and I will copy your business model

Achim, what would be the problem. You can put that as business expense if you visit customers or work there. Try to do with airlines and this is a working week not 2 days.

United Kingdom

I can recommend Augsburg for the facilites... but only flown VFR.

But how do people book it as a business expense? From the point of view that you're employed not own your own company... as that is easier.

EDHS, Germany

I am going there for business. That is why it is a business expense. Quite straightforward.

EGTK Oxford

If you own a plane personally, and you fly somewhere "wholly and exclusively" on company business (the UK tax rule) then you can claim the pro-rated % of your total annual operating costs, as an expense, from the company. So if e.g. 20% of your airborne time is on business, and you spent 20k in the year on flying, you can claim 4k in expenses.

There is some debate about whether this applies to fixed costs like the Annual... or one-off avionics upgrades, or an engine overhaul, but one pilot/accountant I know claims exactly all that.

The company doesn't have to be your own company. It can just be the one you work for - in which case obviously the boss has to agree to it And, in the UK, if you don't have a CPL, you must not be contractually required to fly.

There are some other things you need to get right but that's the basic stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wanted to add to what Peter says about being an employee but claiming flights as business expenses.

• My current employer does not permit the use of any kind of private aviation whilst on company business.
  • My previous employer permitted it, but only with prior permission. I obtained permission.
  • Another former employer provided a jet and (sadly) a crew to fly it.
  • And finally, another former employer actually stated in their expenses policy that they would reimburse the additional premium costs for business-use insurance on one's personal aircraft, rather like they would for a car. If one had access to such a thing, the use of private aircraft was considered entirely normal.

Quite a spectrum.

Check your company travel and expenses policies. And if it's not permitted or not mentioned, ask anyway. In my experience, it is better to ask at the most senior level possible.

If you can put forward a good business case for allowing you to do this, you may get your wish. See mdoerr's posting (#05) for a great example.

EGTT, The London FIR

I charge customers as well, but it is not always easy. Last year I had to fly most business trips by airlines due to a prop strike and the turbo conversion. So I had only a couple flights. The customer was fine first, but demanded a breakdown in fuel, landing fees, parking cost, handling... The only way around was to tell that there is no breakdown on an airline ticket.

We charged a fixed price below cost the time saved was more than a compensation.

United Kingdom
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one