Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France VFR charts -again

One bad link there is this one, but it's been bad for a long time. I check it fairly regularly.

Apart from that, it's the best site for flying in France.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Are you sure the IGN charts from MM are the aviation charts?

I have a MM version dated 2008 and comparing it to the IGN Paper chart it is the same chart and marked (IGN OACI France 1:500k)

Charts to buy:

AIC Aerodrome Charts:

Wow. Thanks Boscomantico. Never thought that I would inspire an other website with mine. I'll try to visit yours. Problem will be to understand german. My command of this language is very basic. I will update my site, too. I've been a little lazy last year.

To get back to our topic : the new IGN half mil charts will be available from march the 7th on -tomorrow as I write-. You can get them in plain paper 20 euro/unit, or in a laminated version 26.50euros/unit. I've just checked the IGn website and as Jojo said, it is a fact : they will indeed depict all airspace up to FL115. A huge improvement. I'm confident that their readability won't be affected. But it will enable people to fly with one chart only unfolded in the aircraft without missing a controled area starting over 5000AMSL. (It happened to me once with the previous chart : I was contacting Lyon approach to request a clearance to enter their zone. Only, I had alreadybeen in for 2 minutes because at my flight level the controlled airspace was larger than at the level depicted on the chart.) A bundle of all 4 charts is also available : 72.50 euros plain, 96.50 laminated paper.

The IGN digital chart was called CDOACI949. I say was because the IGN site bears no mention of the 2013 digital chart. Will it be published later? Have they given up the idea? I don't know yet, but I have asked the IGN (to update my site on this topic. ;o) ) I'm not sure the MM digital chart someone mentionned earlier in the thread is the same chart.

Edit : I had not seen the last posts. Thanks Peter, too, for your comment.

SE France

This interesting French site offers what looks like the IGN chart, viewable online!

You can zoom and pan to see the bit you need, and obviously it can be screen-printed.

The quality is poor but OK since it doesn't cost anything

Some Class A airspace in southern UK is not correctly shown.

Administrator

Yep. But again, I don't get along with those IGN charts. To be fair, that is definitely because it's just not the type of ICAO chart I "grew up" with (which was the german DFS one). I am sure that 99% of french pilots just love the IGNs and consider them the most logically laid out one out there. Sigh...

So, as far as 1:500000s go, I'll probably just go for the Jeppesen again, even though the DFS "France Northeast" one (which really covers all of the area I'm currently interested in) is a tad nicer (unfortunately, the 2013 version is due in mid-june only, which is too late for me...)

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It's certainly interesting to see a national CAA publish charts for another country. I wonder how that works if there is a mistake?

Administrator

I've found both the IGN and Jepp charts hard to understand in places.

There have been airspaces where borders touch and then diverge and it's been impossible to tell from the chart which border went which direction.

I haven't seen the same problem with other charts.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter,

That looks remakably like the 1/2 mill French Chart I bought & used last year with all the information I need.

Did you find an issue date as from all the surrounding tabs on it looks official (couldn't make them come up much but WTH)

In which case I can look for possible airspace changes on my route Cap Gris Nez to Chauvigny this Summer !

mike hallam.

It's certainly interesting to see a national CAA publish charts for another country. I wonder how that works if there is a mistake?

My own national CAA (well, actually, our own National Geographic Institution) has made errors enough in the last few year's editions - I'd not be surprised to see more accuracy from the DFS.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jeppesen also has made mistakes in the past. Creating a chart is a huge gathering of information and must be a really difficult job.

SE France
Sign in to add your message