Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Requirements for flights with passengers

I know some of them from the theory lessons but never read the exact document they are described in. What I know is:

• SEP with PAX: only with 3 landing in the last 90 days. Do they have to be PIC or can they also be dual?
  • Night with PAX: only with 1 night landing in the last 90 days. Somebody told me this one is removed if you have IR. Is this true?
  • Aerobatics with PAX: only if the planned figures were made in the last 30 days. Not sure if this is an official requirement or just from the school.

What about MEP? If I have 3 landings SEP in the last 90 days, can I fly MEP with PAX? What about the other way around?

What about IR? Is there a specific requirement for it?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

US passenger carrying currency regulation requires that the takeoff and landings are in the same category (Airplane) and class (Single engine or Multiengine). The only requirement is that the pilot be the sole manipulator of the controls during the takeoff and landing in order for them to count. If the aircraft has a tail wheel, then the takeoff and landings must be to a full stop.

The night takeoff and landing requirement to act as pilot in command with passengers anytime between one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise, requires that there be three take off and landings to a full stop during the period one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise. The same category and class of aircraft must also be used.

A couple of notes, night begins prior to one hour before Sunset at the end of civil twilight and will vary depending on time of year and latitude. In the US, the instrument rating makes no difference. The pilot needs to be current in all other regards to be able to act as PIC and must be current with respect to carrying passengers, but they do not need to be current as long as they are rated to perform the takeoff and landings. So one could go with another pilot who is fully qualified to act as PIC and is rated to carry passengers, while a pilot without a current medical, or a current flight review, and does not have the endorsements for complex and high performance aircraft, but is the sole manipulator of the controls, may use the takeoff and landings they perform to count towards the 90 day passenger currency. Of course, they would have to have a current medical and flight review in order to carry passengers.

KUZA, United States

EASA PART FCL.060 says (my bold):

A pilot shall not operate an aircraft in commercial air transport or carrying passengers
(1) as PIC or co-pilot unless he/she has carried out, in the preceding 90 days, at least 3 take-offs, approaches and landings in an aircraft of the same type or class or an FFS representing that type or class. The 3 take-offs and landings shall be performed in either multi-pilot or single-pilot operations, depending on the privileges held by the pilot; and
(2) as PIC at night unless he/she:
(i) has carried out in the preceding 90 days at least 1 take-off, approach and landing at night as a pilot flying in an aircraft of the same type or class or an FFS representing that type or class; or
(ii) holds an IR;

Vladimir wrote:

Do they have to be PIC or can they also be dual?

Nothing is stated about dual not counting.

Somebody told me this one is removed if you have IR. Is this true?

Yes.

Aerobatics with PAX

I can find nothing about this in PART-FCL, so maybe it’s a swiss regulation, or a rule of your school. Sounds reasonable to me if you intend to take passengers for a spin, unless you have 1000 hrs of aerobatics.

If I have 3 landings SEP in the last 90 days, can I fly MEP with PAX? What about the other way around?

No, and no.

Not for carrying passengers.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 14 Dec 14:54

@Rwy20: Thanks, that’s great. However it is for commercial transport. Does it apply for private as well?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Rwy20 wrote:

in commercial air transport or carrying passengers

(my bold) ;)

And my bad for not seeing it! Thanks

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Night with PAX: only with 1 night landing in the last 90 days. Somebody told me this one is removed if you have IR. Is this true?

As I understand the rule, not “having IR” removes this requirement, but having performed an instrument approach&landing within the last 90 days (i.e. a landing out of an instrument approach counts as a night landing).

What about MEP? If I have 3 landings SEP in the last 90 days, can I fly MEP with PAX? What about the other way around?

No and no. The landings must be flown on the same class and/or type. MEP and SEP are different classes, so 3 landings in each class are required.

No. Other than you must be within the validity period of the IR for the class and or type you want to fly. Quite a few professional pilots only do IR checks on the type(s) they fly commercially. The ones they fly for fun (e.g. SEP) are VFR only. Otherwise, a yearly IR check ride on an SEP would be required, no matter how many IR hours they fly per year on their Boeing/Airbus/whatever. But there are certain facilitations. If you have flown more then 10 (?) hours SEP/IR in the last year your MEP/IR checkride will also count for the SEP/IR revalidation.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

As I understand the rule, not “having IR” removes this requirement, but having performed an instrument approach&landing within the last 90 days (i.e. a landing out of an instrument approach counts as a night landing).

Rwy20 wrote:

(ii) holds an IR;

I think it is just holds, no need to have a night landing.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

@what_next Are you sure you’re remembering EASA rules and not some older German ones? Rwy20 quoted the relevant part for recent night experience (there really is OR) and No 1178/2011 provides in Appendix 8 to Part-FCL rules for crediting of the IR part of a proficiency check (PS: and they are different from what you wrote).

Last Edited by Martin at 14 Dec 18:12

Question re

Easa Fcl 060
(b) Aeroplanes, helicopters, powered-lift, airships and sailplanes. A pilot shall not operate an aircraft in commercial air transport or carrying passengers:
(1) as PIC or co-pilot unless he/she has carried out, in the preceding 90 days, at least 3 take- offs, approaches and landings in an aircraft of the same type or class or an FFS representing that type or class. The 3 take-offs and landings shall be performed in either multi-pilot or single-pilot operations, depending on the privileges held by the pilot;

AMC1 FCL.060(b)(1) Recent experience
When a pilot needs to carry out one or more flights with an instructor or an examiner to comply with the requirement of FCL.060(b)(1) before the pilot can carry passengers, the instructor or examiner on board those flights will not be considered as a passenger.

GM1 FCL.060(b)(1) Recent experience
AEROPLANES, HELICOPTERS, POWERED-LIFT, AIRSHIPS AND SAILPLANES
If a pilot or a PIC is operating under the supervision of an instructor to comply with the required three take-offs, approaches and landings, no passengers may be on board.

Would doing three to/ldgs onboard an N-Reg with a faa CFI count towards the easa recency requirement?

always learning
LO__, Austria
68 Posts
Sign in to add your message