Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Circling approach into Innsbruck LOWI

This is a GPS recording of an Airbus

There is an RNP to 08 and 26 but no circling allowed, but the VOR 26 approach specifies the circle option

Interesting…

This can be flown by GA, if you get the special local training.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As I mentioned elsewhere, I did this in the sim during my IR training. Interesting that the Airbus doesn’t really follow the track in the “visual approach procedure”. It takes you close to terrain – just look at the 3000’ contour line, and imagine being at 3700’; also note the obstacle at 3445’. Also, you will be 1800’ above the runway, which is rather unusual for a circuit, so the descent needs careful planning. If you “chicken out” and start the turn early (like I did) you’re too high.

All in all, I’d really want that special training before going there in real IMC in real life.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 14 Dec 20:50

The circling part is VMC only – like all circle to land procedures.

A few pics… apologies for the non-horizontal horizon

I would be surprised one could fly a visual approach usefully in a “cheap” GA (FTO-type) sim. They aren’t realistic enough in the control response, IME.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In VMC INN is no big deal, especially in a slow plane. Low overcast IMC is when it gets interesting in non rnp planes during missed approach, shuttling out of the valley. Carefully watch your TAS, too fast and the radius will be too big and you won’t make it.

Is approval for INN also required for owner pilots? I thought it was only for commercial ops.

Interesting topic!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Is approval for INN also required for owner pilots? I thought it was only for commercial ops.

It depends on the procedures. Some require approval, some don’t.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

I would be surprised one could fly a visual approach usefully in a “cheap” GA (FTO-type) sim. They aren’t realistic enough in the control response, IME.

This one is very realistic, it has the original controls including the spring cartridges for the side yoke:

Peter wrote:

Interesting…

Particularly the missed approach! RNP 0.3, which means it has to be flown to final approach precision.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@ Rwy20

Do you maybe know what company built that simulator they use in Poznan? Or maybe you have a picture that shows the a company name ?

No. All I know is that they got their SF50 simulator from Australia.

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message