Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What's the maximum range of your plane?

I know that there are some Mooneys that have a higher range, but I checked all my Excel data I have put together in 250 hrs of flight and found out that I could actually fly to Crete (from the Munich area) non-stop – if necessary.

This is the average data I have collected for the lowest fuel flow.

LOP fuel flow: 9.9 GPH, TAS 160-162 Kts, Range (zero fuel): 1309-1325 NM (G2 model with 81 Gallons)

A G3 model with 92 Gallons could stay in the air 1486-1505 NM flown this way.

F59 my 90HP Super Cub in theory has over 500nm range with VFR reserves, but would require ironman stamina.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

That’s good for a Super Cub. What’s the fuel flow, speed?

…or put another way how long is a sector before you feel you are abusing your passengers’ goodwill? In the Super Cub two and a half hours might be the limit. In a more comfortable, better appointed aircraft, possibly four hours?

…I plan 90 mph TAS and 18 litres per hour – throttled back to 80-85 mph TAS endurance with VFR reserves is eight hours (35 US gallons).

I think three hours for passengers is the realistic time limit for a leg in GA.

EGTK Oxford

I think it depends a lot if there’s anything to see. I recently did a five (out) and a six hour (back) leg and my pax loved it. However, this was over some of the more spectacular scenery on the planet, from the L.A. basin via the Mojave desert, Colorado River, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and the Rockies. Just happened to be the route we needed to fly! If, on the other hand, you’re sitting above a cloud layer for hours, boredom sets in quite quickly….

Yes, I would say so too. In the Cirrus my longest one was four hours from Munich to Corfu, 4:15 h, all the other ones were 3.5 h max. I was just trying to find out what’s possible, theoretically.

The TB20 I have will do 1300nm to zero fuel, based on a climb to FL100.

As regards passengers, it depends on the passengers. I have flown with some who said the longer the flight, the better

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The longest that I’ve done (in the RV-8) was 720nm using 26 USG (at 15000’ with a stonking tailwind) out of a 42 USG tank capacity.

At that altitude and LOP I was getting 5.7 gals/hr at 16"MP and 2400 RPM giving 152 KTAS at 50% power.
So, ignoring taxi, climb and descent, that equates to a still air range of 1120 nm and over 7 hours.
I’m comfortable with 3-4 hours, but have some trips in mind where the extra range could open possibilities.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States
106 Posts
Sign in to add your message