Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATC request to intercept a VOR radial?

This thread is off-topic posts from here

I made my IFR in 2002. Never have I been given the instruction to “intercept a radial”. I could do it, no problem – but it never happened.

Yes, of course, Missed Approaches mostly, and some SIDs.

and VOR approaches…

Which reminds me that at when flying the VOR 23 approach at LFPT, I am regularly instructed to intercept PON radial 236! If I remember my IR TK correctly, it should be radial 056, shouldn’t it?

LFPT, LFPN

It’s r-056 inbound, the course is 236.

Did ATC say Radial 236? … The Missed Approach is on r-236

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 22 Dec 13:19

Flyer59 wrote:

It’s r-056 inbound, the course is 236.

That’s what I thought too.

Did ATC say Radial 236? … The Missed Approach is on r-236

Every time. Makes me really insecure when it comes from authority figures!

Last Edited by Aviathor at 23 Dec 07:21
LFPT, LFPN

I would answer “do you mean radial 056 inbound?” … it’s really ridiculous.

VOR Radials are still a heavily used technology in Asia both for clearances and position reports. I actually enjoy using them, although l often cheat and set the autopilot up to fly the GPS overlay version using the OBS function of the GNS units.

That was also the reason why upgrading to the latest GTN boxes was impractical for me, since the early versions stopped displaying the VOR radial information as primary data. I understand that Garmin have bowed to user pressure and enabled it on the latest software release for the GTN’s.

E

Last Edited by eal at 23 Dec 16:36
eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

I made my IFR in 2002. Never have I been given the instruction to “intercept a radial”. I could do it, no problem – but it never happened.

Never in 22 years. I think ATC would usually be concerned that you might intercept a radial in too many different and artistic ways. So they just give you a vector and then a direct to the fix when they see you approaching the inbound required.

Last Edited by bookworm at 23 Dec 16:40

bookworm wrote:

Never in 22 years.

I can offer “never in 25 years” But there are quite a few SIDs and STARs in Europe which require intercepting radials. For example one Zürich departure that I fly frequently requires intercepting a radial without a given interception heading (which is often supplied elsewhere). This departure is poorly coded in our FMS, so we really have to fly it on “green needles” i.e. VOR raw data. Which adds a lot to the workload as there are speed and climb restrictions as well. Quite a few pilots I know have been reported for busting something.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I got the instruction to continue the route on an outbound VOR radial while I was on a heading. That was when flying on a TEC clearance in California (SMO to MYF) 6 weeks ago.

34 Posts
Sign in to add your message