Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

HETA 18k ft

This harmonised european transition altitude makes me wonder:

1. Some Levels will not be available as cruising level.
So you can cruise 18000ft and then FL210, the levels in between will be abolished as cruising levels.

2. How will it work in real life if you cruise on 16000ft you have to adapt your altimeter for each ATC sector you fly trough. This can be a lot on a 600NM flight. I think it is more practical to use flight levels.

The whole 18k is airline triggered as there is no traffic (despite departure and arrival) in these levels.

United Kingdom

mdoerr wrote:

1. Some Levels will not be available as cruising level.
So you can cruise 18000ft and then FL210, the levels in between will be abolished as cruising levels.

I would not like that. I was growing fond of FL190 and FL200 for both directions and higher only when really needed and OAT permits.

Frequent travels around Europe

mdoerr wrote:

How will it work in real life if you cruise on 16000ft you have to adapt your altimeter for each ATC sector you fly trough.

Been like that forever in the US (same level, 18k ft). Typically ATC give you the nearest QNH upon checking in. Also for VFR flights (if you’re not talking to them just listen to some nearby ATIS).

IMHO I would be amazed if ATC did not operate the “missing” levels. It would be a waste of airspace, especially in terminal areas.

Also you may not be able to skip them, for performance v. wx reasons. Say you are cruising at FL200, just about VMC on top… and cannot make FL210.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Depending on QNH the transition level can be FL200 (943-959mbar), you shouldn’t use the transition layer as a cruising level.
You also need at least 1000ft separation between flights on TA and TL, so you end up with the lowest useable level as FL210.

I also don’t like the additional effort if there is a change in QNH. Climb/decent 60ft if there is 2mbar difference….

United Kingdom

I also don’t like the additional effort if there is a change in QNH. Climb/decent 60ft if there is 2mbar difference

Maybe ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I mean the additional workload, not the implicit climb/desend.
ac: Brussels Radar, 16000 ft on QNH 1012, direct Arcky g….
br: G…. new QNH 1014, maintain 16000ft..

So you constantly adjust your altimeter and your altitude with every sector.
Flying flight levels, is just easier.
ATC might give you a new direct (you start searching the waypoint) and a new QNH, all after changing frequency. Do we really want that?

United Kingdom

It works well in the US and isn’t that hard. You get a new pressure setting and change it. I think this is a storm in a teacup.

Last Edited by JasonC at 01 Jan 23:04
EGTK Oxford

mdoerr wrote:

I also don’t like the additional effort if there is a change in QNH. Climb/decent 60ft if there is 2mbar difference….

I also don’t see the point with this. What would be the benefit of the TA being 18000 ft? (I can see the benefit of a harmonised TA.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I must have missed that. When is that going to start happening?

And no, I don´t like the idea one bit. It was nice flying FL at low altitudes.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message