Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Project Propeller 2016

Sorry, another question, this time from my chief steward on behalf of our in-flight catering contractor:

We’ll be leaving the People’s Republic of Caledonia at sparrowfart. Will there be breakfast and lunch for all on the ground at Leeds East, or should we bring champagne, smoked salmon and free-range eggs to scramble in Jason’s galley?

To a Yorkshireman, availability of food is a much higher priority than, well, anything other than being a Yorkshireman…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

We’ll be leaving the People’s Republic of Caledonia at sparrowfart. Will there be breakfast and lunch for all on the ground at Leeds East, or should we bring champagne, smoked salmon and free-range eggs to scramble in Jason’s galley?

Having done a run up to Glasgow today, bringing the sunshine would be welcome down here. If you bring smoked salmon you are very welcome to sit anywhere you like in my aircraft.

Jacko wrote:

One question, in the interest of freeing the tarmac runway tor aeroplanes which need it: is 06L/24R (the grass runway) available on request?

Since when did you need a runway? What is wrong with the River Wharfe?

Last Edited by JasonC at 02 Jun 22:42
EGTK Oxford

Since when did you need a runway?

LOL!

However, the popular prejudice does favour fleeting visual contact with the surface prior to landing (before closing my “good” eye in anticipation of the bounce). That’s currently in doubt according to the Leeds and Doncaster TAFs.

Fingers crossed for improvement.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

As life returns back to the mundane, it is remiss of me that I haven’t formally acknowledged the contribution made by many people in staging the event at Leeds East.

It takes the efforts of many to organise a PP event, and I apologise in advance to anyone that I don’t specifically mention.

First and foremost – my thanks to the team at Leeds East Airport, who stepped into the breach magnificently at ridiculously short notice, and pulled out all the stops to give us a day to remember. This could not have happened without you.

Many have asked me why the RAF withdrew the offer to host. I was not party to all of the discussions, but essentially, the decision came from much higher up the chain of command, and was based on a risk assessment of hosting circa 150 light aircraft.

Whilst the decision to withdraw was certainly unwelcome, the RAF’s support in getting the entertainment programme moved to the new venue was unstinting. I would like to publicly record my thanks to the RAF personnel at Scampton, and underline the fact that the Queens Colour Squadron and the Salon Orchestra both appeared on a free of charge basis.

My next thanks goes to Callum Blagden or Aero Fire & Rescue Ltd, who provided 5 members of staff on a voluntary basis, at only a few days notice. Gents, whilst your day was a non-event from a professional point of view (thankfully!), you dug us out of a huge hole.

The catering was to its usual high standard, and my thanks go to everyone involved in the set-up, provision of catering, tidying up and pack away.

Our contingent of Air Cadets, assembled at short notice, excelled themselves; every year, they help remind us that the “yoof” of today are not all bad :)

Our resident photographer, Nigel Marshall, has captured some wonderful photos of the day, which you can see on the PP website. We’ve also had coverage in various media sources, which I have already shared on here. Thanks again Nigel, and all others covering the event.

To my friend, Harry Burgoyne – little needs to be said. You know how much I value your comradeship.

Barry Hunter – your calm, measured approach to planning was just perfect, particularly at the more stressful moments.

To Nicky Barr, Director of the IBCC in Lincoln – although the day didn’t turn out as we planned, in nearly any respect, I am indebted to you for the time and energy that you devoted – thank you. To this I must add all the staff at Wickenby airfield, who under “Plan A” were due to accept circa 40 aircraft. Whilst it did not turn out this way, significant time was spent in planning.

Two gentlemen in particular, Tom McCormack and Timothy Nathan, have been absolute towers of strength. Every year, they devote their time to drafting joining instructions for pilots, spending many hours in discussion, striving to produce procedures that will ensure maximum safety for the wide range of aircraft and levels of experience. Thank you, gentlemen – this could not have been done without you.

My last thanks goes to the pilots. You are an incredible group of people. The appetite to give a little back to our aviating forefathers is insatiable. When you have a pilot based in Newark who is willing, at 3 days notice, to cancel a holiday to fly a veteran up from the western tip of Wales, you realise how special this group is. My humble thanks to each and every one of you.

And so we roll on to the next time….whenever, and wherever it is!

54 Posts
Sign in to add your message