Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best landmarks in the UK

10 Posts

Ultimately it's going to be a question of taste, but I wondered what people consider to be the best landmarks in the UK to fly over?

I tend to like industrial landmarks, and one of the highlights whilst training in Scotland was to fly past the oil rigs, not to mention the Flotta oil terminal. At some point I'd like to fly out over the offshore windfarms too - such large pieces of infrastructure that few people ever get to see in person. That said, the number 1 highlight was flying down the side of the sea cliffs on Hoy.

One of the surprises flying over Guildford, where I lived at the time, was to learn that it is a town of swimming pools. Loads of them, all over the place. Yuppies, bankers, hedge-fund managers... I realised, but somehow the number of swimming pools took me completely by surprise.

I'd also like to take my sister to see one of the white horses from the air - open to recommendations.

Good question. I assume you mean aesthetically good landmarks as opposed to the best ones to navigate by.

For me, it is something with water around it. I recently flew around some of the lakes in the Lake District, with some fluffy clouds below, and the scenery was lovely. Otherwise I like coastal area landmarks (the white cliffs of Dover, Brighton Marina). I also quite like the top 3 University cities like Cambridge, Oxford and Hull (the reference to Hull is a Black Adder joke, where he tries to root out a German spy claiming she failed to spot that only two of them are great Universities, with the punch line that "Oxford's a complete dump"), but I have yet been unable to get any pictures low enough or of good quality to want to publish anywhere.

The UK has quite a lot of good scenery but not a lot in the south east where I live.

A nice flight is around the Isle of Wight.

The Balcombe Viaduct is one interesting bit of architecture, but very close to Gatwick airspace so needs to be done carefully.

Swimming pools? They are 2 a penny in the south of England

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You are talking about landmarks, while I'm mostly fascinated by clouds: The large cumulus clouds after a cold front has passed, endless visibility. It's just great fun to fly through a field of cummuli clouds, give you the feeling of a roller coaster :-)

Some favourites I have flown over (but no pics, unfortunately): a series of white chalk military badges etc. on a chalk ridge (http://www.fovantbadges.com/ ) and white horses (http://www.wiltshire-web.co.uk/history/horse.htm ). Pre-history sites, Avebury and Silbury Hill. Stonehenge I want to try again – only time I was near it, I could not see it. I was probably too high (gliding, 3-4000’) and it is much smaller than I was expecting.

Some I want to – e,g Maiden castle. Snowdon – a bit of a challenge to reach and return from in a glider, even if flying from some of the nearest gliding sites.

There are so many things and places that would be interesting to me; I will never exhaust them in what remains of my gliding career.

Chris N

Ridgewell, Essex

I tend to like industrial landmarks, and one of the highlights whilst training in Scotland was to fly past the oil rigs, not to mention the Flotta oil terminal. At some point I'd like to fly out over the offshore windfarms too - such large pieces of infrastructure that few people ever get to see in person. That said, the number 1 highlight was flying down the side of the sea cliffs on Hoy.

It's pretty hard to beat the Highlands and Islands of Scotand for sheer natural beauty....Although I flew a few times a straight line from Stavanger to Kristiansund....(google-earth it).....I tried once to go to Orkney (and fly around the Old Man of Hoy) but had to turn back at Wick due wx....

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

The English Channel on the way to somewhere with good food and weather....

EGTK Oxford

Very interesting and unusual-looking landmarks at night are air-supported domes with lights inside.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

a series of white chalk military badges etc. on a chalk ridge (http://www.fovantbadges.com/ )>

Battle of Britain Memorial nr Folkestone:

I like to fly along coastlines, islands, bays, cliffs, serpentine twists of salt marshes and estuaries, beautiful and almost constantly changing. Add to that the purposeful container ships, the sharks fins of the ocean going yachts, power boats smashing their way though down to the whirly gig patterns of the jet skis.

Always shifting, never the same

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message