Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many pilots don't get airport notams?

B1314/13 - CHERBOURG CTR DEACTIVATED : CHERBOURG CTR RECLASSIFIED TO CLASS G AND AD CTL SERVICE NOT PROVIDED. 13 MAR 09:27 2013 UNTIL 14 MAR 11:00 2013

B1312/13 - AERODROME CLOSED DUE TO SNOW. 13 MAR 09:19 2013 UNTIL 14 MAR 11:00 2013

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Am I missing something?

EGTK Oxford

B1314/13 - CHERBOURG CTR DEACTIVATED : CHERBOURG CTR RECLASSIFIED TO CLASS G AND AD CTL SERVICE NOT PROVIDED. 13 MAR 09:27 2013 UNTIL 14 MAR 11:00 2013

This one is classified as both Aerodrome and Enroute, so would appear in an enroute briefing too for passing traffic.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

How many pilots phone UK AIS info (0500 354802 / +44 20 8750 3939) to get last minute flight restrictions prior to flying? See here...

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

How any pilots actually read the enroute NOTAMs for an IFR flight? I've tried it, once but didn't succeed

The airport had the last laugh in this case.

I phoned them up as a final check and they said they are closed today and probably tomorrow. They are open for helis only.

I said why did they notam they will re-open at 1100. No explanation...

That is why one should always phone up an airport before flying there.

It must be time for the obligatory "why PPR" thread

How many pilots phone UK AIS info (+44 500 354802) to get last minute flight restrictions prior to flying?

Never heard of that one

I do however remember the fax-back number! Takes one back to the days when IT actually worked...

How any pilots actually read the enroute NOTAMs for an IFR flight?

That's a really good question. I rarely bother, because one is in CAS the whole time so assuming CFMU accepts the route (if they don't, you are going nowhere anyway) there is hardly any conceivable scenario that could matter.

But airport notams are vital. In some places (e.g. Greece) they are about the only thing that is up to date on e.g. opening hours (forget the AIP).

Administrator

How many pilots phone UK AIS info (0500 354802 / +44 20 8750 3939) to get last minute flight restrictions prior to flying?

I used to, but stopped using it a few years ago. I rarely heard anything (if ever), that I hadnt got from Notams on the day of the flight. Of course, if you only do NOTAM's the night before, and you dont check again on the day of the flight, maybe something will appear in that gap, but I just check my NOTAM's again in the morning. Or, nowadays, I just check again using SkyDemon. Its a bit like the old premium rate number for getting TAF's / METAR's sent by text - its all online anyhow now and these phone based services will die eventually.

For a quick and dirty notam check, UK only, I tend to use this.

The time to be a lot more careful is in the summer (the airshows, which are usually GA-prohibited areas) but I don't recall the above site missing any out.

However the NATS site is pretty easy to use anyway, so long as one uses the Narrow Route Briefing only. I use it for all of Europe - it all comes from the same database nowadays.

Administrator

With an Android, I now check notams and met online in the cockpit before phoning ATC to book out VFR.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message