Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

English language (ELP) testing for pilots

Hi all,

As of Friday I am able to test non-UK EASA licence holders for their level 4/5/6 English language proficiency.

The test is administered by the Belgian authorities, but is accepted by most EASA licence issuing states (but not the UK CAA, hence the “non-UK licence” condition.

If you know anyone looking to renew their FCL055, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

Hi,

Congratulations ! Do you know if the Swiss authorities (FOCA/OFAC) accepts your validations ?

I’ll find out and send you a PM.

James

Kerwin wrote:

Do you know if the Swiss authorities (FOCA/OFAC) accepts your validations ?

Not level 6 at least, they refuse any foreign level 6 assessment.

LSZK, Switzerland

Bordeaux_Jim wrote:

The test is administered by the Belgian authorities, but is accepted by most EASA licence issuing states (but not the UK CAA, hence the “non-UK licence” condition.

What’s the mechanism for that acceptance? Have they agreed on a standard certificate or something similar?

There are a lot of issues around (E)LP, and I was wondering if we needed to push for something more like the medical certificate, which must be accepted by other states.

bookworm wrote:

which must be accepted by other states.

I would welcome this, being a “subject” to a rather anal CAA.

Right now they require a copy of the language testing organisation approval, the individual assessor approval, and they would prefer if the assessor filled in their form.

LSZK, Switzerland

tomjnx wrote:

Right now they require a copy of the language testing organisation approval, the individual assessor approval, and they would prefer if the assessor filled in their form

NO CAA pulled something similar on me when I presented them with my ELP level 6 obtained in France. They wanted the relevant parts of the DGAC quality handbook pertaining to how the tests were conducted.

LFPT, LFPN

Glad to hear about that, James – well done! A bit of competition amongst service providers is definitely good news – especially as I imagine you’re probably able to offer much greater flexibility in terms of dates and location?

Same for the CPL/ATPL exams. Very few French candidates are aware they can follow the mandatory ground school course in the UK for less than it costs in France, then sit their exams, in English or French, back in France at a third of what it costs to sit the exams at a UK centre.

Bordeaux

What’s the mechanism for that acceptance? Have they agreed on a standard certificate or something similar?

There is (or is supposed to be) mutual recognition of ELP certificates between EASA states. At the same time, the different national CAAs place certain caveats on that recognition.

The UK CAA will not accept foreign ELP certificates (unless you are converting your foreign licence to a UK one). This is largely irrelevant for 90% of UK licence holders as you automatically get level 6 on your flight test/skills check.

The DGAC will accept foreign ELP certificates, but only levels 4 and 5. If you want 6, you have to go to their center in Paris (the only one able to issue IFR level 6). Even a level 6 issued by a native English speaking flight examiner is not recognised.

For Switzerland, I am in the process of finding out what their position is.

Even a level 6 issued by a native English speaking flight examiner is not recognised

I am Czech and got ELP6 from a native Brit FE at the skills test for the JAA IR.

Would that not be recognised by the French?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message