Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Medicine 1 (Slovakia or Wien )

bq. If you want to know, the Austrian Airlines examiner wants to charge €276 for a Class I renewal. The other option in Vienna is called “Privatklinik” and they actually advertise a different price for “Austrian” and “non-Austrian” citizens, I kid you not: https://wiener-privatklinik.com/en/aeromedical-center/

I know that Austria is a bit of a mafia and the aviation side in particular rather Wild West-ish, but now I’m half-expecting a portrait of the country’s most famous citizen hanging on their wall.

I wonder if this overall price might be because some of the medical tests and exam can be covered by the local health insurance and this would not apply to Austrian citizens? I know that the cost of a French medical will vary depending upon the level of additional insurance you have over and above what your “Carte Vital” will pay for. The Doc will charge you for the paperwork, but the exam and medical tests costs will vary form person to person.

Regards, SD..

@igor, this thread might be useful.

It has been the intention for years for the country of license issue to be the same as the country of medical issue. This was stated to prevent “medical tourism”, where the most “interesting” examples were initial JAA medicals obtained in Hungary.

I have no idea about the current practice, however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well I did renew my medical twice in Norway for a PPL isued and renewed by France without any issue. I don’t know about initial medical though …

ENVA, Norway

Yes; that should work, but the authority holding your medical records (and having to be satisfied with them) is still France. And if France objected to a Norwegian medical, you would be stuck.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

bq. If you want to know, the Austrian Airlines examiner wants to charge €276 for a Class I renewal. The other option in Vienna is called “Privatklinik” and they actually advertise a different price for “Austrian” and “non-Austrian” citizens, I kid you not: https://wiener-privatklinik.com/en/aeromedical-center/ I know that Austria is a bit of a mafia and the aviation side in particular rather Wild West-ish, but now I’m half-expecting a portrait of the country’s most famous citizen hanging on their wall.

They charge a whooping 1050 EUR for a 1st class initial check (850 for a non-EU citizen + additional 200 if you had an eye surgery). And I’m sure it will be higher at the end, because they didn’t mentioned all the additional fees.

I would really appreciate if someone could share some information about Military Aviation Hospital in Slovakia (Kosice).

Last Edited by igor at 13 Aug 15:46
Czech Republic
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message