Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why have ILS X / ILS Y / ILS Z ? (and which IAP types are missing in GPSs)

We had about 100 posts yesterday; I don’t get tim to read them all. Sure, vectors is not RNAV and not procedural. Not sure if I understand what you meant, however.

Yes, because the MSA in that sector is 2100!

Good point!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

An exercise to sort the connoisseurs of ancient navigation aids from the GPS-DCT-to brigade

The scenario: anywhere within 20 miles around Lydd
Instructor: fly us to ROMTI.
Student: riiiiiiight, lemme see, ROMTI is on the 172 track to the LZD, make that QDR 352’, I will fly to the LZD and then track outbound until I hid 4.4 DME on the ILDY
instructor: Really? We are to the northeast of the airport and you will fly all the way south to the beacon, and then track out again?
Student: okay, okay, so I will fly rougly a track of 200 until I intercept the 172 QDM to LZD and then track inbound, ok

Instructor: come on, you can do better, get me there direct
Student: oh, ok, so i – I am currently on QDR 340 at D25 so if, with the wind from the south and …
Instructor: JUST USE THE FRIGIN GPS, YOU IDIOT!

Biggin Hill

That’s very true but a problem a checkride student in the JAA or ex-JAA system has is that he/she never quite knows what is to be expected in terms of navigation. Until recently, GPS and autopilots were banned. When I did mine, 2012, they were allowed for enroute only. Everything concerning approaches had to be classical IFR only.

My FAA IR, 2006, was 100% hand flown and about 90% partial panel. Much harder.

So you really needed to fly with an FTO instructor who knew the current situation and the particular examiner’s personal preferences.

On (most) revalidations and all the rest of the time, one flies 100% with GPS and there isn’t any question.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Not sure if I understand what you meant, however.

My point was in reference to your post #14…where you seem to equate procedural with non-RNAV only…and I was pointing out that this is incorrect. Procedural by definition is when you must fly the whole procedure as published instead of receiving radar vectors… I suspect you have now understood this…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Just been reading more about this X Y and Z business…

An IFR GPS stores only one of these, and apparently usually it is the Z one, and it doesn’t say that.

Administrator

I’m reasonably confident the G1000s I fly store all of them

Peter wrote:

An IFR GPS stores only one of these, and apparently usually it is the Z one, and it doesn’t say that.

EGKB Biggin Hill

LFLC. Maybe some memory limitation on older systems?

LPFR, Poland

My original Q (today) was triggered by reading a supposedly definitive document on this stuff which states

Only the ‘Z’ variant is coded in the GNSS database, and the procedure identifier does not include the ‘Z’ character

So it looks like there has been a change within the last few years at most.

Administrator

Yep, seen them in G1000, 430Ws, G650s and Pl21.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message