Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Temporary Schengen "suspension" around Europe

It seems like this issue has been resolved, i.e. it has been clarified that airports like Besancon and Montbeliard, but also others like Annemasse, which are not a „point de passage frontalier“, but still a customs aerodrome, CAN be used for flights between Switzerland and France.

See a press article here.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

EU page on this topic

Something from France Google translation

I wonder where this will eventually lead…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The swedish one does not apply to Schengen GA flights. Only land-bound means of transportation and if I’m not mistaken only from countries in the south?

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

The swedish one does not apply to Schengen GA flights. Only land-bound means of transportation and if I’m not mistaken only from countries in the south?

As far as I understand it only applies to road, train (and ferry?) transportation from Denmark. I arrived in Sweden from Germany by ferry this summer and there were no passport checks.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Some times they don’t even do passport checks by train from Denmark. And some times the police officers just walk around the train doing a “visual inspection”.

Last Edited by Dimme at 15 Aug 07:56
ESME, ESMS

If you read the entire thing it says that the following countries MAY now introduce a border control by law but it should be kept to a minimum. NOT that there is now a hard border. This is because Shengen is about free movement and technically stopping people at a Shengen country border would break EU law. By filing to have “temporary border” these countries can now legally stop you at the border if they want to. For a while the French checked passports at major airports for ALL commercial flights under this rule. The Danes and Swedes sometimes stop people on their bridges or at ferry terminals etc.

So, really nothing new to see here, please move along…

Which begs the question, how are we supposed to know if border controls are currently re-introduced? There are no FIR notams on them for example.

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

There are no FIR notams on them for example.

You have just answered your own question. Situation normal. If they pitch up and stop you on an intra shengen flight, its legal for them to do so. Similarly they can close a road and check passports, or make every Commercial passenger go through immigration (the french thing this last few years).

Last Edited by skydriller at 15 Aug 08:24

Skydriller got it I think.
This schengen suspension would make legal a notam requiring customs/border control for all international flights, or any random ramp check based on FPL. Without the suspension, this would be illegal.

As there is no such notam, we can fly as usual.

LFOU, France

Another one circulating these days, there is a claim that a Dutch pilot has been fined recently 1500€ for departing from non-C&I airport in France by Dutch customs (Looks like FUD and I doubt the story is true)

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/schengen/reintroduction-border-control_en

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message