Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Channel Crossing (merged thread)

Unpressurised planes sink even if undamaged, due to water ingress through the various holes in the underside, past the pedals, etc.

Most low wing SEPs sink in 1-2 minutes even if the ditching went perfectly.

I vaguely recall reading of Robins floating for a long time, if the tanks were empty.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here is the earth rounders single engine page. Some of the legs westbound have been quite heroic, Santiago de Chile to Easter Island for example. Not sure what the statistics are for successful completion multi vs single, but let us not forget that by and large, Jason excepted, we are mainly flying puddle jumpers. I like the fact that a brace of Piper PA-12 Super Cruisers (fat Super Cubs) figure on the list. A Maule has done it westbound.

http://www.earthrounders.com/singles.php

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 30 May 07:55
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

What about the risk of a midair collision when crossing the channel via Dover?
There can be a lot of VFR traffic there, all trying to reduce their time over water.

On a busy flying day it might statistically be safer to cross the North Sea in a straight line

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

I don’t know what you mean by a “block altitude”. What I am hoping for (realising the hope is very very faint) is the owner of the airspace making it class C or D instead of class A up to FL080. Perhaps I caused confusion by mentioning a “block” of airspace – a “chunk” might be a better term.

Sorry, I misunderstood you completely.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

dublinpilot wrote:

You can’t get a clearance into class A airspace under VFR, and SVFR is only available in a CTR (controlled airspace that goes to the surface).

Hmm….. why ? I can request to climb above FL100 into German Charlie airpace under SVFR any time. If the initial call isn’t a total mess, they’ll clear me. Done it and gotten it. Why shouldn’t this be possible with London Information ? Or does this community have a proven track record of rejected requests ? I can also wait until I’ll have IR and then I don’t care anyway….. :)

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EuroFlyer wrote:

Hmm….. why ? I can request to climb above FL100 into German Charlie airpace under SVFR any time.

You can fly in German class C VFR, but not SVFR. SVFR is indeed limited to control zones. You may be referring to CVFR, which is an obsolete concept altogether.

You can NOT fly in UK class A – neither VFR, nor CVFR, SVFR or XYZVFR.

Last Edited by Patrick at 30 May 14:55
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Suddenly, Enroute IR starts making sense.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Class A by defination, doesn’t allow VFR.

You can fly under SVFR (Special VFR) but that is only available in a control zone (CTR).

So therefore there is no way to fly in class A, that doesn’t go to the ground, other than under IFR.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

You can fly under SVFR (Special VFR) but that is only available in a control zone (CTR).

So therefore there is no way to fly in class A, that doesn’t go to the ground, other than under IFR.

I would even say there is no way to fly VFR in class A – regardless if it goes to the ground?

SVFR is only available in control zones (which obviously go to the ground) to enable you to continue your flight to land, when the (WX) minima for flight in the CTR cannot be met (cloud base, visibility). Would you argue that using SVFR, you can access a class A CTR likewise? That would be a new idea to me.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Yes, SVFR is available in a Class A CTR.

For many years, that the only way to access the Channel Islands without an IR!

Before London changed their CTR to class D, it was the only for to access the London Zone without an IR.

It basically means that ATC treat you like you were IFR, providing IFR equilivant seperation standards, and you can avail of reduced weather standards.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message