Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My nerves can't take single engine flight anymore...

and go to the toilet in privacy

You need a bit more than a “twin”. Speak to any King Air or lower-end bizjet pilot and they will tell you that you are not welcome to use the toilet. And if somebody does a Number Two it’s a hugely messy job. A CJ4 pilot friend of mine says the externally serviceable toilet on the CJ4 is great otherwise he has to carry the whole thing out through the cabin, with rubber gloves, etc. Privacy is just a curtain so everybody can hear and smell it. People don’t talk about this aspect much

If cost was not a factor how many pilots would prefer to fly a single over a twin?

Probably quite a lot would, but maybe less than one might think because very few people learn to fly with a clear planned-out path in front of them, and most start with SEP papers and by the time they have done the IR (and a twin makes little sense without an IR, with today’s CAS situation) they are well and truly sick of exams and checkrides. Especially those who got shafted by the EASA FCL attack on N-regs into doing yet more pointless stuff. Even with unlimited money I could not bear re-doing my EASA PPL/IR, FAA CPL/IR, for ME.

When I started the PPL (2000) it was fairly normal to progress to twins, but that business (at the school level) is practically dead now, for various reasons.

There’s no law of nature that says rental aircraft are inherently more dangerous. On the contrary, their high utilisation means that problems are likely to be dealt with, in contrast with some low utilisation private aircraft.

I’d say the numbers are in your favour mostly because somebody else is likely to expose the issue

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But you don’t need to redo it all, Peter. All you need is a check ride. Easy.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 03 Jun 22:14

Roughness in a twin in IMC is no fun either…. Watery fuel using aux tanks was a famous Twin Comanche party piece until you learned how to deal with it. My friend had a complete engine out over the sea in a 58P where the air intake came apart. He said it was pure disbelief for a couple of seconds but he did the drill and used his VNAV to profile the descent from FL160 into the nearest decent airport.

I’m intrigued with the Insight engine monitors that give 3D vibration analysis, which would be able to put science behind any suspected rough running in a piston engine.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Probably quite a lot would, but maybe less than one might think because very few people learn to fly with a clear planned-out path in front of them, and most start with SEP papers and by the time they have done the IR (and a twin makes little sense without an IR, with today’s CAS situation) they are well and truly sick of exams and checkrides. Especially those who got shafted by the EASA FCL attack on N-regs into doing yet more pointless stuff. Even with unlimited money I could not bear re-doing my EASA PPL/IR, FAA CPL/IR, for ME.

Yes, but they are reasons in the same vein as cost, but not a preference other constraints aside, which was the point i was getting at.

QuoteRoughness in a twin in IMC is no fun either

The time i had an engine failure i recall my biggest concern was what happens next if the other engine quit. At least a single avoids that anxiety.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 03 Jun 22:19

Adam,

Peter,

In mine they just have a curtain and a TravelJohn! But, you know what, that’s a lot better than not having a curtain and a TravelJohn :-)

EGKB Biggin Hill

You should have left it on the N-reg, Timothy

Administrator

Yes, the only additional hassle is an annual check ride – which is no bad thing.

The cost sharing discussion has been moved here onwards

Administrator

Peter wrote:

You should have left it on the N-reg, Timothy

Or never moved it off the G in the first place?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

You need a bit more than a “twin”. Speak to any King Air or lower-end bizjet pilot and they will tell you that you are not welcome to use the toilet. And if somebody does a Number Two it’s a hugely messy job. A CJ4 pilot friend of mine says the externally serviceable toilet on the CJ4 is great otherwise he has to carry the whole thing out through the cabin, with rubber gloves, etc. Privacy is just a curtain so everybody can hear and smell it. People don’t talk about this aspect much

I’m sure you all have read this before but it’s always an eye-watering read:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/the-most-embarrassing-private-jet-flight-of-all-time/

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
Sign in to add your message