Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AOPA Europe

I'm a member of US and UK AOPA's. The US version has been getting a real lambasting on ANN recently, which might have a sub-text to do with Phil Bowyer.

See

AOPA2012: Out of Touch, Off-Mission, And Out Of Control?

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Hmmm... interesting.

Is Phil Boyer still active in US GA?

I met him at Athens in 2008. A very effective presenter, but I got the impression he was quite happy to retire.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

He's not past a bit of meddling:

[Phil Boyer – Representing The Aviation Community ]

(http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=598cf5c9-e71e-487c-96c3-1143ba5780ad)

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Hi. I'm a member of AOPA UK and of AOPA US as I'm currently living for most of the year in Savannah GA. I'm also a Director of AOPA UK and will be happy to respond to any queries.

The over-arching body is IAOPA, The International Council of Aircraft Owner and Pilot Associations. Individual country AOPA's are affiliated to IAOPA, who if you like are the owners of the brand. There is an "IAOPA Europe" and Martin Robinson, who is CEO of AOPA UK is also Vice-President of IAOPA Europe. There's an explanation of the structure and the way lobbying works on the AOPA UK Website here http://www.aopa.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=380 . I hope it makes sense because I wrote it!

One of the problems with having a single AOPA Europe would be that it's still important to have a relationship with and understanding of the regulatory body of the State where you live. I'd find it difficult for example to talk about flying in Germany but I do know about flying in the UK. As far as lobbying in Europe goes IAOPA Europe calls on members with the right expertise from the individual European AOPA's to work on behalf of all the European AOPA's when it comes to influencing policy making and regulation.

The AOPA UK Website is at http://www.aopa.co.uk and the IAOPA Europe website is at http://www.iaopa.eu/ It's worth signing up for the IAOPA Europe newsletter.

Mike

KSAV Savannah Hilton Head International USA, EGHP Popham UK

Member of AOPA UK and agree that there should be only 1 Europa (Euro AOPA). It took me many years before I joined as I did not see the value in being a member. However, when JAA was born I envisage the damage that they will cause to GA, so I joined.

I think that AOPA UK has changed and evolved during the last 5 years or so, yet, having so many pilot associations don't help our cause. Many years ago I have attended an AOPA annual meeting and asked the question "Why won't you unite with the other GA organisations and talk in one voice?" I was attacked (by a well known person who writes in the AOPA magazine) and was addressed in a very patronising way, I was not talked to but was talked about, never attended any other meeting. I joined the mentoring scheme, did the course, paid for the silver or whatever wings just to find out that my name is not on the mentors list/map. I sent an email, had no reply and did not bother. Will I join any other AOPA initiative?...You guessed it.

I am a Turkish pilot and member of AOPA Hellas, as AOPA in Turkey does not have "membership form" !!! I beleive that AOPA will play an essential role in long term, putting pressure on national CAA's. OTOH, AOPA membership brings advantages in many airports (faster service, discounts up to 60%) etc.

Cavalier of Clouds
LTBQ, Istanbul

Ben

I'm sorry for the experience you've had. The first link in my post contains the answer to the question you asked at the annual meeting but I'll reiterate it here for others.

The EU requires representation at the European level, i.e. they won't talk at a National level, so LAA, BGA and AOPA UK are all National organisations which cannot be heard at EASA. In the case of AOPA UK this was not a problem because all of the AOPA's are part of IAOPA so IAOPA Europe speaks for all of the European AOPA's. Other organisations, like LAA and BGA were not part of an International organisation and so they had to form alliances. For example EFLEVA represents the interests of some 14 national organisations in the fields of Experimental, Vintage and future ELA (European Light Aircraft). The European Gliding Union represents Gliding, the European Microlight Federation represents the microlighters, PPLIR those with an interest in IFR and so on. In turn, these organisations are members of Europe Air Sports, which represents all of their interests at the EU. Dave Roberts of EAS and Roger Hopkinson of EFLEVA do a great job and of course are constantly meeting with IAOPA Europe representatives in the various committees and consultations that take place.

It's not the case at all that AOPA does not want to join in, they simply have a different and in some ways more streamlined route to Europe. I'm a member of LAA so my interests are represented in Europe by the route LAA -> EFLEVA -> EAS -> EU while as an AOPA member my interests are represented by AOPA UK -> IAOPA Europe -> EU

AOPA was fortunate in already having an International dimension so we have a more direct route to the legislators than some of the others.

In my own case I am a Director of AOPA UK but I'm also a member of LAA and for some time sat on their National Committee; it's wrong to suggest that somehow AOPA does not co-operate with other respresentative organisations.

Many people share your misconception, I hope the above clarifies things a bit.

On your second point. The Mentoring Scheme is an AOPA initiative, agreed with the aviation insurers, that provides a framework for mentoring (i.e. a less experienced pilot to learn by flying with a more experienced one) outside of the normal paid FI/Student scenario. Those who participate in the scheme, whether they be Mentors or Mentees avoid the risk of invalidating insurance or breaking the law providing they adhere to the scheme rules. Details of the scheme are on the AOPA UK Website at http://www.aopa.co.uk/index.php?option=comcontent&view=article&id=150&Itemid=431 A map showing the location of Mentors, their contact details, and the areas of expertise they offer is on this page http://www.aopa.co.uk/index.php?option=comgooglepro&view=standardgoogle&id=10&Itemid=435

I'm sorry you appear to have dropped off the scheme, if you'd like to get yourself "on the map" please contact the office on using the link on the first page above. Mick Elborn, who runs the scheme will be happy to assist you.

For anyone else thinking of joining the scheme there's no guarantee that a mentor will find a steady stream of people wanting to take them flying; we provide the framework, it's up to individuals whether or not they want to make use of it.

Mike

KSAV Savannah Hilton Head International USA, EGHP Popham UK

Ben,

Adding to Mike's reply above, why didn't you just get in touch with me and ask why you weren't listed as a Mentor? I will get in touch with you to resolve this.

Aopa In Europe are a Godsend. I got into a legal problem a few years ago with the CAA which worried me sick until AOPA detailed the correct legal position and sorted it. I even got a telephone apology from the CAA. We need one strong representation especially with all that is going on in EASA. AOPA are our best bet and are well worth supporting otherwise we will all end up with fragmented voices

Pace

on this planet

I was flying in Greece this week with a Cherokee and landed at several airports including Kerkyra and Rodos. The handling fees are going down to about €25,- when you show your AOPA card (do notify them up front that you are a member). Otherwise I would have paid more than 100 euro's for the handling there. So yes it has benefits :-)

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar
Sign in to add your message