Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AOPA Europe

Mike, with all due respect, I think in the age of EASA you have it the wrong way round.

IMHO there should be a EU AOPA of which the national AOPAs are chapters (or whatever you want to call them).

Politicians are past masters in the 'divide and rule' game and having structures like the one outlined in your link opens the door wide to this game, to put it mildly.

PS: I'd happily join any EU-AOPA

Yes, my sense is that it the approach is a bit jigsaw puzzle, and perhaps that is the way it had to be. That is not a criticism in any way, I do not know the organisation.

Adam wrote a piece for Avweb, on his role and the plans he has. I will find it and post the link.

Peter, I understand that GA in the States has been in decline since the seventies. I think however, everyone thought that it would bottom out, plateau, then recover. The big wake up call would appear that it just keeps going, in a downward spiral.

Are we reaching the Oh s... moment.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

The organization, which last reported some 178 employees and $62 million in revenue (according to various IRS 990s) is reportedly not held in quite as high esteem as it once was under Phil Boyer's management, while its current mission seems muddied, confused, off-target and a bit off the mark in responding to the very specific hazards the GA industry faces right here and now -- over-regulation, user fees, security interference, cost of operation, negative public perception, lack of appreciation and attention from our government, the decline of the pilot population, serious legal problems and a lack of true innovation and progress.

The above taken from the ANN article. Pretty much sums it up, the State of GA I mean. Change and corporate distress is all about engaging your stakeholders, and adopting a clear, concise, and meaningful strategy. My initial post was in a sense to drag some of this stuff out, and see if the European arm was engaging with the larger IAOPA. Like a giant oil tanker though, altering direction, has to be done miles out, and the end result will be years away. Is the issue that it may be too late?

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

"Mike, with all due respect, I think in the age of EASA you have it the wrong way round.

IMHO there should be a EU AOPA of which the national AOPAs are chapters (or whatever you want to call them)."

Not sure I follow you dear chap. I've just explained that IAOPA Europe is exactly that.

Anyway, enough of this light-hearted banter, time for more serious things. It's a beautiful day here in Savannah and I'm off to the beach (sorry about that)

Mike

KSAV Savannah Hilton Head International USA, EGHP Popham UK

The decline in pilot numbers, and the gradual increase in the average age, is a well trodden topic in GA.

Arresting it is going to be a very tough assignment, and also there is a less than total agreement on the causes, never mind what to do about it.

I am on an Ipad and when I get to a proper computa' I will kick off a thread on this...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mike, Mick As I said AOPA has evolved and today's AOPA is noting like the one of say 10 years ago. Mick We already sorted it so I leave the rest out of the details. After not flying for 5 months had a short flight to North Weald today and had great time, Peter Tichman's Spit taxing and taking off was an extra bonus. Ben Trying to chane the layout but it does not work, sorry.

IMHO there should be a EU AOPA of which the national AOPAs are chapters (or whatever you want to call them).

I fully agree, I am talking about experience...At eurocontrol GA is very poorly understood. Being part of this organisation as an external consultant I can only adhere that it is time to join forces for an EU AOPA. To my understanding IAOPA is the rest of the world but in Europe we have specific issues. E.g in Belgium there is not even a representative...by all means... Two years ago I made a presentation as a VFR PIlot point of view for the Digital NOTAM workshop @ eurocontrol as there was a lack of connection to GA at eurocontrol.... I know there are organisation like PPL-IR, IAPOA...but I think it is time to join all of them in a major EU AOPA representation...or for me even EUROGA...;-)

EBST

I suspect certain leaders from certain national AOPA leadership teams are too old, too old-fashioned, and far too conservative in their thinking to reform into a proper joined up AOPA Europe organization, even though it is probably the most efficient and cost-effective way in this age of limited GA representation.

However the biggest issue is that the average Euro-GA pilot does not care about representation and doesn't want to get involved. They don't want to pay some €100 - €150 each year in dues.

As long as it is OK for them then other issues are for other people to clean up.

How is AOPA over here doing. I do keep an eye because I am a supporter but also more than a little cynical about the way it operates. The recent accounts dont seem to make good reading and not having had a discussion on this topic for a while thought it was worth resurecting.

Sorry, but where is “here”? The UK or another country?

Last Edited by James_Chan at 23 Dec 10:43
Sign in to add your message