Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What on your aircraft could kill you?

Clipperstorch wrote:

configure the disconnect button as CWS button

That would be acceptable, if CWS is only active with A/P on. However, engaging CWS and A/P with the push of the A/P disconnect switch when the A/P was previously off sounds like a horrible idea.

Last Edited by Antonio at 14 Apr 21:11
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Ist happens actually on button release. This and the knowledge that the experimental version of that AP allows to configure the disconnect button as CWS button makes the software guy in me thinking hmmm, where has this been messed up?

EDQH, Germany

the AP disconnect button of the factory installed GFC500 in a certified airplane engages the autopilot when pressed for a few seconds.

That’s appalling.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flew a Pipistrel Virus some time ago. During the approach to the destination airfield the autopilot engaged itself multiple times, once even in the turn to final. Luckily the AP on that plane is quite weak and can be easily overpowered. It is also not connected to the trim system and thus the airplane can be flown almost normally but in hindsight I should have pulled the AP’s circuit breaker. Only on the on the ground I learned that I mistook the AP disconnect button for the PTT button when the Flugleiter enquired where I suddenly appeared from. Turns out that the AP disconnect button of the factory installed GFC500 in a certified airplane engages the autopilot when pressed for a few seconds.

EDQH, Germany

My Savannah VG has quite tricky flaps control lever. Flaps 2 needs some force and extra check that the button releasing the level is fully locked, otherwise you might suddenly end with 0 flaps.. which probably won’t kill the occupants, but might damage the airframe.

EETU, Estonia

Maoraigh wrote:

For me, in a Bolkow Junior, it’s CO. The cockpit is well sealed and cannot be opened in flight, and the small window opening produces little draught.

For me, in the Auster at FL65 over Cumbria, it was hypothermia :-) The cockpit is very draughty (with somehow a draught going up my back from somewhere) and the windows tend to open themselves in flight. The cabin heater does a good job of making my right knee lukewarm! Good job I brought my thermals and a flask of hot tea.

Andreas IOM

As far as I know, the Natural 95 shall have 5% of ethanol. However, the Rotax guys told me that the mixing companies use this as a minimum value and do not guarantee any precise percentage. The content could be even 10% and more. Apparently I was the lucky one winning an extra enriched batch.

The tank was about half full for two months, and connected with the outer world via a 5mm air vent. I topped it up with no-ethanol mogas (Verva100 is the local brand name) and still got this experience.

I did static run tests after the adventure. I was advancing throttle in 200rpm steps and left some 20 seconds between the steps. Until cca 5200 rpm the engine ran smooth. When I reached 5400, the rpm was steady for about 10 seconds (the same like during the takeoff run) and then started dropping down to about 4000 with a very unhappy sound. I had to pull the throttle pretty much back to let the engine get in shape again, and then I could repeat the test.

My theory is that there must be something with timing. The wet ethanol makes the mixture burn slow, or something like that.

Last Edited by Pavel at 08 Dec 17:44

Glad to see you did the right thing Pavel. Rotax allows up to 10% of Ethanol and basically does not say anything on what to do if your engine has been sitting still for months, other than making sure you use fuel ‘of the right season’ in case of Mogas. How much Ethanol is in that PM’s fuel?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I had a partial fuel restriction that also responded to closing the throttle. Until I landed I thought it must be the fuel pump playing up. Perhaps sometimes there’s something to be said for playing with the controls and seeing what happens – though that’s not in the checklists.

Last Edited by kwlf at 08 Dec 16:26

phew, that’s quite a story @Pavel.
And from my perspective, well handled

Pavel wrote:

I reduced throttle from TO power to 50%

Probably the action that saved you. Reducing the throttle, maybe even to idle, before reapplying enough to at least keep enough height for either a return or a better landing area is a good idea. Assuming one has that little extra speed in reserve.
The same action saved my bacon during another event (carb heat flap off its shaft and sucked against carb inlet with power), and I was able to pump the throttle permitting an “impossible” turn.

Thanks for sharing what in reality is a ILAFFT.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
95 Posts
Sign in to add your message