Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

Yes, the desktop-saved version does save/recall, but it doesn't appear to offer multiple saved versions. I have just tried it and it just pulls out the last saved one.

I think it is supposed to allow recall of multiple FILED GARs.

EGTK Oxford

But it also seems clear that eventually you will not be able to email it in

That will put the UK out of line with every other civilised country, where you can fly GA to a Customs airport without supplying the passenger details in advance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have to say that I like it. The idea that:

a) I don't have to know which police force to send it to (often spent ages trying to find which was the appropriate police force, and b) I have undisputable proof that it was submitted (a confirmation number) without the hassle of having to use a fax machine and keep the receipt as proof. (Fine when at home, but more difficult when away from home). c) when away from home, I need nothing more than an internet connection to file the GAR and keep the evidence of filing.

Don't ever underestimate how hard it is for a non-UK resident to figure out which police force is the appropriate one for which airport ;) Why you don't just have one police force for the whole country I don't know!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I think this is an absolutely brilliant initiative for those flying to/from Ireland, IOM, or the CI.

Even if one could not save any old data, it would still be brilliant, because the special branch stuff was horrid, with half the fax numbers not working, etc, yet they would hit you hard if you did it wrong.

Administrator

That will put the UK out of line with every other civilised country, where you can fly GA to a Customs airport without supplying the passenger details in advance.

Non sequitur. Where did I say that you couldn't fly into a customs airport without giving details in advance? I am talking about the prior notice GAR system.

EGTK Oxford

Again: excuse my stupidity, but again I am baffled by the use of unexplained codes/abbreviations. If this $$%^&##! must really be used, unexplained, why can't we at least have a glossary?

What the ____ is a GAR? Another UK oddity, presumably? Is it possible to fly in reasonable safety without one?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Nothing to do with safety. It is a General Aviation Report. The system which lets you fly your ultralight hopping off the waves across the channel and land at any airfield you like rather than just big customs ones. In return for that you are supposed to tell them where and when you are arriving and who is on board and give them notice in case they want to come and welcome you.

EGTK Oxford

Non sequitur. Where did I say that you couldn't fly into a customs airport without giving details in advance? I am talking about the prior notice GAR system.

I won't struggle to reply with a one-liner...

See here

BUT see e.g. this (from Jepp data)

Shoreham, GBR
N 50° 50.1'   W 00° 17.8'   Mag Var: 3.3°W
Elevation: 7'
Public, IFR, Control Tower, Rotating Beacon, **Customs**, Landing Fee
Pattern Altitude:  1100 feet AGL
Fuel: 100LL, Jet A-1
Repairs: Minor Airframe, Minor Engine
Prior permission required

In reality, Shoreham is perhaps most accurately described as "Customs PNR" and the GAR form is used to do the prior notice.

It's not a simple system. It's a mess, partly because the UK powers have never bothered to align their system with how aviation works elsewhere in Europe, never mind further out. Still, it keeps the police busy, meeting up the required % quote of the people who didn't send in the GAR...

That's why, as I posted much earlier, most UK pilots just throw in the GAR (to the ncu@ email address) no matter what.

Administrator

It isn't my system and I am not trying to defend GARs. All I am saying is that they appear to be trying to restrict the GARs to the official uses rather than them being a catch all PPR document which as you say they seem to have become somewhat by default.

EGTK Oxford

Sorry if half this message was posted previously well I've been working for over 3.5 years on this under the auspices of AOPA - I have put in over 2000 hours of my own time to prove that on online system could work.But it has not been just about a techno drive to prove us amateurs could best a government IT plan- there has been a lot of lobbying work to prevent policy makers making a grand sweep decision to make us all arrive at a few designated points (as in rest of Europe) So as Jason says the future is online Whilst Peter says something along the line of - being in line with 'civilised' countries accepting emails,well I am afraid all emails have to be transcribed and this is a time intensive human operation.In that sense the UK is ahead of other 'civilised' countries in looking at alternatives.

The difference with emails and online is that email with a Word Doc is (as far as the pilot is concerned) is 'fire and forget' The online system guides you through the answers and checks.

The Agency concerned suffering resource pressures simply cannot check and transcribe all such Word docs so the front line officers meet you and end up with confused info.

So its all about taking responsibility for what you say, rather than blame someone else such as the Club or ATC who put your GAR in.

So what's the payback ? Well... the Home Office , whilst it was keen to get this in has decided to run the old systems in parallel. If more people use the online system then Border Force will say ' ok this is working we can actually consider reducing notification times' ---which are dragged down by the slowest notification process - emails for instance' If most people move to online then we will be very strong to demand substantial reductions in notification times

I will try to respond on detail on the functioning of the web apps and the smartphone apps but I am now having to monitor several forums and I am a one man band.

best regards John Murray

Sign in to add your message