Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bavaria to Megara (Athens) via Portoroz, Dubrovnik, Corfu

Just did another flight from Bavaria to Greece, this time with my son. We decided to stay one night in Portoroz and one in Dubrovnik, and then we made a quick immigration stop at Corfu before we flew the last leg to LGMG, Megara, near Athens.

The flight was as simple as they come again, and again the service in both Portoroz and Dubrovnik was as perfect as it can be. Corfu was okay too, much quicker than before but we did not refuel. We flew over the Alps in FL160, along the Croatian coast in 5000 feet and 4000 feet, all IFR, so lower than 4000 is possible.

From Dubrovnik to Corfu they wanted FL110, which is good because you fly over open water for some time. In Corfu we got the VOR Y Approach Rwy 35 with radar vectors which i simply flew with the GPS overlay and by autopilot, a very simple approach anyway.

Corfu to Megara was FL110 again and we got a nice shortcut to the EGN VOR south of the field. Over the water and having the field in sight we were released by Athini Radar to Megara tower and landed on rey 08R. In the final descent to the right downwind leg and in the traffic pattern we flew through some serious turbulence created by 30-40 knot winds blowing over the ridges north of the field. Then i was too fast with the engine in idle, too high too. Lower to the ground there was less turbulence, so the landing was easy. But the downwind and final I’ll remember for some time :-)

Some impressions …

Home base

The new backup AHRS works perfectly

Entering IMC before the Alps

Climb to FL160

Approach to Portoroz, landing direction changed three times, finally i cancelled and landed VFR on 12

Turn to final over Piran

Restaurant Ivo, great fish

Sunset in Piran

For the flight to Dubrovnik we put on the vests

Over 1000 islands, Croatia’s coast. At one point Zadar Radar wanted us down to 4000 feet, so lower than 5000 is possible (we flew IFR only)

Split airport in the foreground, city in the background

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 14 Aug 08:38

Brac Airport

Southern tip of Hvar

All systems working great :-)

Some miles before Dubrovnik

LDDU

LDDU

LDDU

Trying to put on the cover in a stiff breeze

Downtown Dubrovnik

Dubrovnik city beach

Ice Cream :-)

The walk over the city walls is great if you’re not scared of height (like me)

Early morning …. wind 25 to 38 knots

Graphics

Open Waters

Early morning flights are the best … and with some tailwind the flight time to Corfu was only 1:10!

Loaded the arrival route to have a look, but then we were vectored, like always

Albania

LGKR approach chart

MFD

LGKR

LGKR

Before Takeoff from LGKR

After Takeoff from LGKR, climb to FL110 through some clouds

Son getting instruction in flying the Flight Director

Descent to EGN VOR south of Megara

Refueling for € 2,70 per liter

Patakas was already waiting for us! His TB20 behind him.

Hangar of Global Aviation, where we will leave the airplane for two weeks – and go to Crete by ship!

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 14 Aug 08:36

- Whole flight to Megara on this route was 5:20 flight time.
- Oil consumption of engine was 0.2 qts/hour
- Again on EGT probe failed, # 4 this time
- Portoroz fees including parking for one nighr were € 66, fuel € 1.78
- Dubrovnik: € 53 for landing and one night

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 14 Aug 08:57

In the first text i made a mistake, i realized: IFR in 4000 ft is possible in Croatia, that’s what i meant.

@Petakas
sorry for the “Patakas” :-) All typed on phone …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 14 Aug 13:30

Flyer59 wrote:

Zadar Radar wanted us down to 4000 feet, so lower than 5000 is possible

Hm, that connects to the other dispute: because some controller tells you to do this or that, apparently that does not make it legal. As we have been told there…

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Legal enough for me if I’m VMC over the water and on an IFR flight plan ;-)

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Hm, that connects to the other dispute: because some controller tells you to do this or that, apparently that does not make it legal. As we have been told there…

IIRC the question was not whether 4000 is legal but if you would get an IFR clearance at that altitude.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In my experience the MVA is the lowest possible IFR altitude.

Flyer59 wrote:

In my experience the MVA is the lowest possible IFR altitude.

That’s probably correct as long as we’re talking about controlled flights. Frequently (ok, maybe not in Germany) the MVA is determined not by obstacle clearance but by the bottom of controlled airspace. In that case you could fly lower in class G.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Correct. It entirely depends on the country’s airspace structure and the “philsophy” behind that.

IFR minimum altitudes is one of those fileds where SERA didn’t achieve much. Whilst there is a rule in SERA (the ICAO one) in practice, many countries still have additional rules which specify higher minimum altitudes.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Aug 08:26
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message