Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Part-NCO summarized

Although bookworm hasn’t yet posted the link on this forum, here it comes.

Part-NCO will go into effect and become law in a little more than 24 hours in most of Europe.

It’s a first class summary of Part-NCO and its effects for most private pilots in Europe. (It is primarily written to the UK pilot, making comparisons with the UK ANO, but most of it is still just as relevant for the “European” private pilot). Mandatory reading I would say (at least for those whose don’t want to wade through Part-NCO itself, i.e. probably 90% of private pilots..,).

Thanks a lot! Every single sentence in this review is well chosen and comprehensible.

One note: there is a clear tendency in Part-NCO over previous regulations in that it contains many “soft” wordings. This is both good and bad. Here and there, it allows more flexibility for the pilot/operator and that can be good. It however also requires much much judgement by the pilot. Also, in the future, when somebody asks “what is the definitve rule on xy in Europe?” it will not be possible to answer it, other than pointing to the relevant bit in Part-NCO. Interesting times ahead…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Aug 17:25
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

in a little more than 24 hours in most of Europe.

We have had it for almost two years already (since October 2014). We have this guide and even a quiz However, even today it is only valid for EASA types of aircraft. All Annex II types are exempted. I have no idea if this exemption for Annex II also is in effect for the rest of Europe.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Aw shucks! :blush:

Excellent summary indeed, thanks a lot for posting this link!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The summary is here under Articles / Tech Resources

With the author’s permission

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Guys as much as NCO may have some wrinkles, spare a thought for me just having to declare under NCC….

EGTK Oxford

A brilliant writeup! I started doing a summary myself but I think I will share this(the link) instead.

ESSZ, Sweden

Good article, bookworm.

One thing. When reading this:

When operating with more than one flight crew member, an intercom with headsets is required. Since all aircraft operated under Part-NCO can be operated by a single pilot, this mainly affects instructional flights.

I immediately recalled this:

Fortunately, EASA’s interpretation of the Ops regulation is that the operator may designate any willing persons (for example a second pilot) as flight crew, who would not be treated as a passenger.

I haven’t checked wording in the actual regulation but from your article I have to draw a conclusion that if you e.g. fly in simulated IMC with a safety pilot (designated as a crew member to comply with the rules), you need an intercom. I don’t imagine many people fly without at least two place intercom, but it’s perhaps worth mentioning.

Posts about IFR/VFR airframe certification moved here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I do think it’s worth highlighting that Part-NCO also applies to N-reg aircraft based in Europe, which could be easily overlooked.

From Bookworm’s summary

As well as applying to aircraft registered in an EASA member state, it also applies to foreign registered aircraft whose operators are established or resident in an EASA member state.

Not quite sure of any immediate implications. If there are, it may be worth a separate thread of its own.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom
116 Posts
Sign in to add your message