Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft rental in Florida

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

I rented a PA28 from them in 2012, going Bahamas – Puerto Rico – St Maarten – St Vincent – Curacao – Dominican Rep – Bahamas – Tampa over three weeks.

Interesting:) This is on my bucket list. How does it work when renting a plane in the US and fly abroad? Thinking of issues such (renters) insurance and border crossing (with Visa Waiver).

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Thanks @172driver , the west coast is definitely a great destination for a future holiday. Current focus is however on Florida.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Jonas wrote:

Interesting:) This is on my bucket list. How does it work when renting a plane in the US and fly abroad? Thinking of issues such (renters) insurance and border crossing (with Visa Waiver).

You need to make sure with the FBO to what extent the Caribbean are covered by insurance. Some cover only the Bahamas, others the whole Caribbean chain. Visa waiver works if you enter the US on a commercial flight and then fly out and back from contiguous territories. The plane needs to have the US CBP decal, and the pilot needs to do the eAPIS formalities. If VFR you need to file a Defense VFR flight plan with a specific ADIZ boundary crossing ETA. You also need the FCC radio license if flying out of the US. It sounds daunting but I did it with less than 150 hours under my belt… .

@Shorrick, @Jonas, you also need to make sure the airplane has the radio station license. This hasn’t been required in the US for about 20 years now, but most other countries insist on it.

Thanks for the info :)

ESOW Västerås, Sweden
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message