Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Quick book review - Flight Lessons 1 Basic Flight and FLight Lessons 2: Advanced Flight

I have just finished reading these two books while travelling. They are entertaining and educational books about flying written by James Albright (the Eddie Haskell who writes code7700.com). He is a former USAF Lt Col and now flies a Gulfstream 450. Like code7700, they are written in a very practical style for pilots who want to understand certain subjects. But as an engineer, he is mathematically rigorous and explains why things are as they are as far as possible in a book of this type.

Essentially each lesson contains an anecdote for example in Flight Lessons 1 he discussed being converted to his first jet, and then goes on to explain how a jet engine works both diagrammatically and then in terms of Newtonian mathematics. While the first few “lessons” were something any private pilot should know, towards the end of the first book he discusses visually acquiring traffic and the science behind how vision works and tips on how to scan for traffic well.

In the second book for example he discusses a flight where in-flight refuelling was not available then goes on to discuss the mathematics of specific range, endurance and efficiency.

I really do recommend them for new and existing pilots.

Both available on Amazon for Kindle.

Longer summaries are here: http://code7700.com/book_notes.html

As a postscript I am also reading his International Operations Flight Manual now (only hardcopy).

EGTK Oxford

Thank you, sounds interesting! Albeit I personally still prefer hardcopy books to reader versions…

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

It is available in hardcopy as well for those who want it.

EGTK Oxford

I had downloaded the “taster” and it read a bit too much like many US aviation books where older pilots just yarn and yarn. Based on your review I’ll give it a go… The blog is very interesting.

EGTF, LFTF

Couldn’t go to bed until I finished them both. For an engineering-minded person (like the author himself), it’s excellent food for thought about improving one’s flying skills. Good artistic value, too.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Albright’s Volume 3 is now out. It is really good.

Last Edited by JasonC at 18 Nov 21:00
EGTK Oxford
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message