Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

F18 vectored into terrain by Swiss ATC

Report in German

Apparently the controller issued a vector below the MVA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That’s weird. One would assume that both controller and pilot in this case are intimately familiar with the terrain.

That shows that you cannot blindly trust ATC, you should always try to verify clearances…

172driver wrote:

That’s weird.

On the (broadcast) radio, they said that FL100 was the correct altitude for a westbound departure. So it looks like the ATCO confused both departures, and the pilot didn’t question it because he was familiar with both altitudes…

LSZK, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

The report didn’t say he was issued a vector, only a level.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

tomjnx wrote:

On the (broadcast) radio, they said that FL100 was the correct altitude for a westbound departure.

The report indicates an easterly departure in this case I think… Am Montag, 29. August 2016 startete kurz nach 16.00 Uhr eine Patrouille mit zwei einsitzigen F/A-18-Kampfjets in einem Abstand von ca. 15 Sekunden vom Militärflugplatz Meiringen in östlicher Richtung.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Two US jets were cleared by Leuchers RAF controller to descend in IMC into the Cairngorms, and both did so. Fatal. I think the controller was court-martial, but found not guilty.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Yes that was a very famous one. 2 x F15.

It probably tells us that fast jets have little in terms of navigation equipment, compared to GA. The 2xF15 crash was many years ago, probably pre-GPS.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

The report indicates an easterly departure in this case I think…

Correct, that’s why it is a mistake that the ATCO gave the altitude for a westerly departure.

LSZK, Switzerland

The pilot asked Meiringen controller for the MSA and was given 10,000 feet whereas it should have been 14,300 feet in that area . Very sad ending but the ultimate responsibility for knowing the MSA is always with the PIC. Strange that such an experienced military pilot would not be aware of that, even in IMC.

Lot’s of debate about the radar equipment in use in Meiringen which dates back to the 70s and was supposed to be changed but multiple snags have prohibited this from happening.

LFLP

I find it amazing and sad that the technology that has been available in cheap tablet apps for years (i.e. colouring of terrain whether you are about to hit it or not) has not made its way into the cockpits of advanced planes.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO
72 Posts
Sign in to add your message