Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Correlation between weekend flyers and Mode A transponder use

No problem bookworm.

BTW, I’ll send you PM on another subject shortly.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

bookworm wrote:

So lemme get this straight:

A “Mode C aircraft” is one that replies to a Mode C interrogation with altitude information.
A “Mode A aircraft” is one that replies to a Mode C interrogation without altitude information.

If you find that terminology helpful, feel free. Just don’t expect me to use it.

I apologise for the tone of my post above bosco, I was having a rather frustrating day. Your point is a good one.

The ground station interrogates in a Mode A/C interlace – it alternates each interrogation at either 8 microseconds for Mode A or 21 microseconds for Mode C and the airborne transponder responds accordingly. The reply consists of 2 framing pulses 20.3 microseconds apart with the data between the framing pulses. Mode C Altitude data is encoded in the same format as a Mode A reply – a 4 digit slip-binary. The last available pulse (D4) doesn’t appear until 30700 ft.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

I’m curious: is a Mode C altitude reply basically identical (in message format terms) to the Mode A reply, in other words, it’s basically a 4 digit octal number, and the way the Mode A reply (squawk entered into the transponder by the pilot) and Mode C reply (the altitude, a coded 4 digit octal value) really only differentiated by timing? I guess it makes a lot of sense – when Mode A and Mode C was designed, it had to be something extremely simple for the box on the plane to generate, given the technology of the time, so building the same message format with a different timing was a simple way of adding altitude information without having to make the transponder much more complex and retaining compatibility with existing radar stations.

Andreas IOM

boscomantico wrote:

What I was getting that is that an aircraft is not “Mode C” if it doesn’t have an encoder. A Mode C capable transponder is not enough.

So lemme get this straight:

A “Mode C aircraft” is one that replies to a Mode C interrogation with altitude information.
A “Mode A aircraft” is one that replies to a Mode C interrogation without altitude information.

If you find that terminology helpful, feel free. Just don’t expect me to use it.

I didn’t say zero pressure altitude, I said 0000 as in binary 000000000000

0 pressure altitude is:-

Gillham:- 000011010000
Octal:- 0620

See here:-

http://www.airsport-corp.com/modecascii.txt

Last Edited by stevelup at 14 Oct 11:14

Any avionics shop person who has a Mode C transponder tester can answer this one. Maybe there are pullups which drive the value to FL600 or some such?

TAS equipment definitely does not filter out a zero pressure altitude; I see planes sitting at the EGKA (elevation 12ft) holding point when I am on final and get proximity warnings off them, and if QNH is 1013 they will be radiating a zero pressure altitude. And regardless of QNH they will be radiating something close to mine when I am nearly on the ground.

But on top of that I reckon ATC radars might be filtering out obviously wrong stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I presume it is that can that with no encoder connected, it in effect is transmitting 0000 which doesn’t resolve to any altitude.

Last Edited by stevelup at 14 Oct 08:37

I am well aware of that. What I was getting that is that an aircraft is not “Mode C” if it doesn’t have an encoder. A Mode C capable transponder is not enough.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Hein? Then how can it squawk Mode C?

Because Mode C is the interrogation mode, not the output data. A transponder without an altitude encoder (or a transponder switched to ON not ALT) will respond to a Mode C all-call interrogation used by TCAS, but will return an unknown altitude.

As was discussed earlier in the thread, classic transponders are all “Mode A/C” transponders, regardless of whether they have an altitude encoder attached.

64 Posts
Sign in to add your message