Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random flying photos thread

Please state the location

Smile, you’re being intercepted.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 31 Aug 20:19

I have again broken my rule of not taking pictures when not having an autopilot/copilot. But it was nearly end of the day, no other traffic around us, calm air, aircraft trimmed etc. The guy on the other end of the rope was having his first ever solo flight. So I can´t resist to take that picture to document his entrance into the world of aviators. I am sure there were tens of students pilot soloing on that Saturday around the world but I think all of them deserves to have their small step for mankind but a giant leap for man documented…

LKKU, LKTB

Brussels Airport

Zurich Airport from FL140 in the climb out of Friedrichshafen

United Kingdom

Michal, is the tow plane an early Zlin? I’m curious about the lack of front instruments… I’m sure the glider pilot will be happy you preserved his moment on film.

Silvaire wrote:

Michal, is the tow plane an early Zlin

yes, Zlin Z-226. Originally Z-226B (no front seat instruments, basically reduced weight version of Z-126 with 6 cylinder engine fitted – created as glider towing vehicle), now converted into Z-226MS (180HP M-137 engine (instead of 160HP WM6-III) together with V-503 automatic and autonomous propeller – single level power control ;-)).

LKKU, LKTB

Thanks for the Zlin info, and the quite interesting photo! The propeller design is really cool, and not particularly tricky or complicated either… Mira Slovak (who was well known in my area) told a 526L owning friend that he thought the early Zlins were the best

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Sep 14:45

Silvaire wrote:

early Zlins were the best

it depends what you are looking for. The one with excellent handling and nice to fly feeling is Z-126. A little bit underpowered (105HP only, fixed propeller). Untill you establish a proper attitude during take-off roll, don´t expect your self to get airborne. Z-226 is not heavier but more powerfull engine is turning this into kind of spring loaded device. Z-726K – the last model done by the Zlin company (210HP version of Z-726) is heavy (MTOW 1000 kg) and you can feel it – especially it has smaller wings. Z-526AFS is a combination of both – power and nice handling.

None of the photos linked above is similar to the prop photo I shared in the previous link, don´t be disappointed ;-)

you mention your area and Miro Slovak- is it Seattle? I know he donated a glider to museum of flight there…

LKKU, LKTB

Here’s some info on Mira Slovak and where he lived, he was quite a character (for those who might not recognize the name)…

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/29/us/mira-slovak-a-daring-pilot-who-won-freedom-then-races-dies-at-84.html?referrer=&_r=0

(Link button is still crashing my iPhone)

Sign in to add your message