Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random flying photos thread

Please state the location

Last weekend, the weather in Germany was actually fine for flying all across most of the country twice (Mainz – Lübeck and back).

The weather on the Baltic coast was almost perfect from Saturday at noon until Sunday at noon…

Travemünde…

Lübeck…

Timmendorfer Strand…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 09 Mar 20:32
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A couple of pics of a well known spot – The Needles on the Isle of Wight – from a flight in somewhat murky wx yesterday

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

After checking the Corona-NOTAMs a last time when I sat in the airplane, I took off for a sunset VFR flight around Neuchâtel, Fribourg, Bern and back to Grenchen. I finally got my night currency again! :) … and I hope the airport remains open the next months so I can make use of my currency. As usual with @Bleriot Cessna 175 Skylark and his new Best Tug tractor.

The plane is really fast when I’m flying alone at high-ish power settings (I was timing my arrival and sped up haha). The Franklin and wing extensions gave me a climb rate of about 1200ft/min without really trying.

Selfie is mandatory of course.

The LED landing lights are totally different to the old bulbs. The runway is bright like… almost like during daylight. ;) My first flare was a bit too high as I realized the old “flare when the tire rubber appears on the runway” wouldn’t work with LEDs. The next two landings worked out fine and gave me some confidence… I didn’t fly at night in years. Loved it!

You have an IR, no? So, legally speaking, you don’t any night currency, no?
Anyway, does doing night currency training in the end of March make any sense, given that nights are becoming shorter and shorter now?

‘Here are some nice pictures of me flying at night, I really enjoyed it!’ poster is then asked to justify this, because it’s deemed unnecessary.

EHTE, Netherlands

Indeed; pointless criticism.

Great post, @ArcticChiller

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Haha well I am often the one talking about the rules so I’ll be glad to answer. I have only an Enroute IR at the moment, which legally isn’t an IR (in Part-FCL you can see that it is listed under all the other additional rating like MOU etc.). So I do need night currency for flying with passengers.
But let’s be honest, legal doesn’t mean safe, and I just wanted my “night confidence” back. ;-) I would’ve done it even if it wasn’t a rule.

Edit: Forgot to answer your last question about it making sense. No it doesn’t and that’s alright. Edit2, but I did have the thought of making use of H24 airports, even during Summer. But with Corona that probably won’t work out.

Last Edited by ArcticChiller at 19 Mar 16:17

That’s really a nice C175 and the Franklin makes it more interesting

Beautiful for a 60-year-old aircraft, and a very well-equipped travelling machine !!

Night flying is rather special and something very few really do much of in Europe. Given restricted airfield operating hours in Europe, night flying here is more readily available during the winter time zone compared to North America where many airfields are accessible 24×7. Good to hear and see someone taking advantage of the shorter daylight hours before they get an hour longer in 10 days.

LSZK, Switzerland

Thanks Florian. I knew you wouldn‘t see it as criticism but merely as curiousity (as opposed to certain uninvolved bystanders)…

I was led to believe you had already upgraded to the full IR, hence my question. Probably correct to assume that the CBIR does not qualify as having „an IR“ in the context of the night currency rules.

Will you get the GFC500 add-on for your Cessna?

Sign in to add your message