Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Top 20 airports / most visited airports / how many different airports have you landed at

I made these maps just with gcmap.com.
These are all the airfields I landed/took off from as PIC. Very few (<5 IMO) have been visited twice or more.
In Europe :

In the US (just from one trip) :

LFOU, France

So here’s the map, created in Google Maps. The weird things is that Google recognizes some (but not all) ICAO codes and some IATA ones. Some of the African ones I had to input manually, although Google found the town or even lodge associated with the airfield.

So, 98 airfields in Europe plus a couple in the US so have completed 100 visited airports. The most I’ve flown to (excluding training) were

• Münster / Osnabrück
  • Texel
  • Bielefeld (once a year to collect the obligatory Mug at Christmas time)
  • Damme
  • Cambridge
  • Paderborn
  • Koblenz
  • Spa
  • Melle
  • Wangerooge
  • Varrelbusch

My most memorable flights have to be Bohmte Bad Essen which has a 500 feet circuit height, the circuit is much closer in to the airfield than anything I’d tried before hence downwind to final was a continuous turn with a dogleg on final – I was pretty freshly qualified when I first flew that and was quite pleased that it went well; Helgoland on Runway 21 with only a headwind component of 8 knots was the one that required accuracy in approach. But at least it wasn’t me who nearly decapitated a sunbather on the beach and tore up the fence at the end of 21….

EDL*, Germany

172driver wrote:

Figured it out. It’s not perfect (it put LPCS, Cascais, somewhere in Kansas….) but largely works.

What’s the format of your csv file? When I try this with a list of location indicators, My Maps just says that it can’t find the locations — although it certainly can if I search for them the usual way.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have no idea how I sign into google maps, etc… is anyone willing to do this map for me? I have the airports of landing, ICAO codes, one per line, in a text file.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Airborne_Again: it’s UNICODE UTF-8, field delimiter , (comma), text delimiter " (double quotation mark).
@Peter: if you have a Google account, sign into that, then go to https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/ and follow the instructions

The really weird things is what Google Maps does and doesn’t recognize. In my case it sometimes found the ICAO codes, in some cases the IATA ones and in other cases only the place name plus airport, e.g. Big Bear airport. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to this. For example it did not find KLAS (ICAO Las Vegas), but it did find LAS (IATA Las Vegas). It did, however, find much smaller places like KSMO (Santa Monica) or KVIS (Visalia). In Spain it found about half the airports by code, the rest by place name. Again, no pattern, it finds some small places by code and doesn’t find international airports. The safest bet seems to be to have .csv file with place names followed by ‘airport’ (without the quotation marks), e.g. Denham airport. It found all of those, even some pretty obscure lodge strips in Namibia, e.g. Hobatere.

I must have several google accounts because you can’t run an android device without them (like you cannot run an Apple device without a sub to the Church of Jobs ) but I have no idea where you sign into it… Is this on a phone or on a PC?

Google probably ripped off a list of ICAO codes from the same place where everybody else has ripped theirs from. It’s known as “everybody else”

Administrator

@Peter, it’s on a Mac (of course…. ) in the browser. Safari in my case.

Open any Google map (Shoreham, if you want) and in the top right corner you should see an icon with your initial (prob90 a P in your case). Click on that, the window that opens has a tab called ‘account’. You may be signed in already, if not, that’s where you do it.

Steve6443 wrote:

Bielefeld (once a year to collect the obligatory Mug at Christmas time)

You had me going until this one. Come on, Bielefeld doesn’t exist.

EGTK Oxford

I can’t see where map legends is, or where add layer might be. This is on the left:

The whole google symbology business is a mystery to me.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message