Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Preventing hypoxia

Found this article and thought it might be interessting to some of you.

EDDS , Germany

Thenks for sharing, Peter – very interesting read.

EDLE

Thanks for posting that Peter.

I found this especially interesting:

[ local copy of article ]

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yeah … in Australia you require oxygen when above 10,000 feet.

About time they face the facts in the U.S.?

In Europe am I correct to state that the rules are you need to be on O2 when above 10,000 for more than 30 mins or anytime above 13,000 ft?

Archie wrote:

In Europe am I correct to state that the rules are you need to be on O2 when above 10,000 for more than 30 mins or anytime above 13,000 ft?

Depends on what part if OPS you operate under. For Part-NCO it is now left up to the appreciation of the PIC since a change published last summer.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

For Part-NCO it is now left up to the appreciation of the PIC since a change published last summer.

But you need to be able to assess the hypoxia risk. If you cannot then I think this rule still applies.

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Does anyone have the reference to the latest European regs on oxygen usage in private flight?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

NCO.OP.190 Use of supplemental oxygen
(a) The pilot-in-command shall ensure that he/she and flight crew members engaged in
performing duties essential to the safe operation of an aircraft in flight use supplemental
oxygen continuously whenever he/she determines that at the altitude of the intended flight
the lack of oxygen might result in impairment of the faculties of crew members, and shall
ensure that supplemental oxygen is available to passengers when lack of oxygen might
harmfully affect passengers.
(b) In any other case when the pilot-in-command cannot determine how the lack of oxygen
might affect all occupants on board, he/she shall ensure that:
(1) all crew members engaged in performing duties essential to the safe operation of an
aircraft in flight use supplemental oxygen for any period in excess of 30 minutes when the
pressure altitude in the the passenger compartment will be between 10 000 ft and 13 000 ft;
and
(2) all occupants use supplemental oxygen for any period that the pressure altitude in the the
passenger compartment will be above 13 000 ft.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

https://www.easa.europa.eu/easa-and-you/general-aviation/operations-general-aviation

https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/technical-publications

second link you will find the “Easy access rules for operations

it’s a 1800 pages documents…. it contains consolidated documentation with Regs + AMC + GM all in the same place
In Part NCO you will find the requirement for O2 but I don’t remember which point

Edit :
On page 1490and following
NCO.OP.190 Use of supplemental oxygen
+ AMC1 NCO.OP.190(a)
+ GM1 NCO.OP.190
+ GM2 NCO.OP.190

Last Edited by PapaPapa at 09 Nov 15:45
ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

PapaPapa wrote:

But you need to be able to assess the hypoxia risk. If you cannot then I think this rule still applies.

AMC1 NCO.OP.190 does not mandate the use of a pulse oximeter. It leaves the pre-flight AND in-flight assessment of the need for O2 to the discretion of the PIC based on the condition of crew and pax. It even says that O2 may be required below 10.000 feet. It refers repeatedly to an information leaflet about Hypoxia which contains tips for evaluation the hypoxic state without any additional equipment.

LFPT, LFPN
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message