Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

No Special VFR for departures at Sabadell LELL

Peter wrote:

I got stuck at Biarritz for several days, in 2003. They wanted 1200ft cloudbase for VFR. Now I believe it is the ICAO standard of 1500ft.

In France, at an airport with ATC and a CTR, VFR/s-VFR minimums are usually stated in the VAC charts.
That’s the case at Biarritz.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 21 Nov 16:03

Just passing near my location right now, FL140… so he is well on the way.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 21 Nov 17:02
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Rwy20 wrote:

Just find their weather station and throw a blanket over the cloud sensor!

VV000 ??

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Frequent travels around Europe

Nice! The wind was in your favor today :)

Right. Unlike Saturday when I had basically the same as headwind. It’s not nice when you have to push against 85 kts

Partly joking: LEIG, Igualada, may be in yr future, Stephan. An uncontrolled field, OCAS, not dreadfully far from Barcelona. Just make sure that you check their webcam to check the runway is clear. Because there happens to be a balloon factory on the field which sometimes makes for an impressive obstacle.. :)

Reus is an alternative to Girona. No mandatory handling, but I guess that what you save on that you spend on xtra flying time.. Still nicer to spend it that way i suppose..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Yes. Reus is an alternative. I’ll try Girona first and then maybe later Reus. On the other hand with a 250 hours count over 12 months I’m not short of flying time :-) What I dislike is the one hour drive back home but then I get to arrive home the same day during the short winter days. That’s worth something.

SERA.5010 Special VFR in control zones says:

Special VFR flights may be authorised to operate within a control zone, subject to an ATC clearance.

SERA doesn’t say that special VFR is authorised

@Guillaume,

I would be pretty sure that is a flawed interpretation. Of course, the reg must say “may”, because ATC has to be able
to exercise their discretion based on traffic volumes and other factors.

But it doesn’t give an ATC unit the right to say “we don’t do SVFR here”. If there is no other traffic about, they have no basis to deny an SVFR clearance.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Nov 00:19
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

But it doesn’t give an ATC unit the right to say “we don’t do SVFR here”. If there is no other traffic about, they have no basis to deny an SVFR clearance.

But how can it possibly be challenged?

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message