Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

No Special VFR for departures at Sabadell LELL

Not really, I’m afraid… like with so many other things that some “local” authorities handle more restrictively than intended.

Still, Stephan should have asked the ATCO what that “overriding national regulation” was. Don’t have the Spanish AIP at hand right now, but should look what e.g. ENR 1.1 (General Rules) and ENR 1.2 (Visual Flight Rules) say about SVFR.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The explanation is, more or less, I don’t remember exactly the details, that a SVFR is treated like IFR and in that case, the clearance and control shall be given by APP (not by TWR). Since LELL has no CTR, Barcelona cannot legally give service to traffic departing from / getting to LELL.

I know that, even if I don’t remember the details and probably the above is not 100% technically correct, because in LECU we had the same problem. After some meetings with the airport direction and the company providing ATC services, it was agreed to solve that and to provide SVFR clearances for LECU, with formal delegation from MADRID APP responsibility to LECU TWR . Now it is published in LECU AIP info.
LELL main operators should try to force something similar.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

That’s an interesting thought. On the other hand, thinking this through, SVFR means you get take off in bad weather but you are not flying IFR and still need to obtain a proper IFR clearance. In the case of LELL you want to climb to get away from the mountains.

Much better is the concept of giving out a proper IFR clearance to pilots while they are still on the ground.

One should think about the problem being solved: I have an IFR flight planned and I want to go somewhere. For that I need to climb up to my cruising altitude and turn into the direction of my destination. I don’t want to fly for the sake of flying. If the airfield has been deemed “IFR”, then someone has created a predefined flight path for aircrafts leaving the field. I get a clearance to use it and separation is maintained. With a US-style IFR clearance with a void time I continue to be responsible for my initial flight path, which means not hitting anything continues to be my own responsibility. The upside is that I can use the performance of my aircraft to my advantage as I have been cleared to enter CAS already. All that chit-chat and waiting game with “request to pick up IFR” is unsafe as it causes a delay and keeps people low.

Frequent travels around Europe

boscomantico wrote:

I would be pretty sure that is a flawed interpretation. Of course, the reg must say “may”, because ATC has to be able
to exercise their discretion based on traffic volumes and other factors.

But it doesn’t give an ATC unit the right to say “we don’t do SVFR here”. If there is no other traffic about, they have no basis to deny an SVFR clearance.

I don’t think it is a flawed interpretation. S-VFR is optional in a CTR and it’s up to each airport to define if they want to do S-VFR.
At my airport, we require :
-aircraft (day) : V>3 km and ceiling > 900 ft
-helicopter (day) : V>1.5 km and ceiling > 700 ft
This complies with SERA. But we could have said that we don’t do S-VFR.
For example, at my airport, we don’t do night VFR for aircraft. There is nothing against that in SERA. An ATC unit can be more restrictive than the regulation.

ATC’s don’t make rules of their own. Each ATC units obey an ops manual where such procedure are defined.
If LELL ops manual states no S-VFR then there is no S-VFR. This complies with SERA.

= EDIT =
I just check LELL charts, and it looks like there is no CTR at LELL. So I don’t think S-VFR is the matter here, as S-VFR only exists in a CTR.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 22 Nov 18:46

Guillaume wrote:

For example, at my airport, we don’t do night VFR for aircraft.
Do you know the rationale for that restriction?
An ATC unit can be more restrictive than the regulation.
I was under the impression that ATC units are obliged to provide clearances as long as traffic permits?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Guillaume wrote:

Anyway, I just check LELL charts, and it looks like there is no CTR at LELL. So I don’t think S-VFR is the matter here, as S-VFR only exists in a CTR.

It’s a bit confusing. As I recall, don’t have the chart at hand right now, the airspace is class D. It’s called ATZ. Some of it overlaps with El Prat CTR. There is LELL TOWER and they do have Radar.

But then again, as I said above, I don’t like the idea of SVFR myself. It’s just a way of pushing the limits and I would consider it a legal brother of the “VMC bubble” that surrounds aircraft in some circumstances. I very much prefer to receive a proper IFR clearance while still on the ground and then get up and high as soon as possible.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Do you know the rationale for that restriction?

I think it’s been like that for more than a decade I guess. We are virtually an IFR only airport with VFR transits. We have only 1 VFR aircraft (DC3) based at my airport and I don’t think it can fly at night.
So there is no need to set up night VFR procedures for aircraft as no one is interested in such activity.

Airborne_Again wrote:

I was under the impression that ATC units are obliged to provide clearances as long as traffic permits?

We have to obey our own rules. If our ops manual says “no night VFR for aircraft” then, traffic or not, it’s no VFR at night for aircraft (except emergency, of course).

Airlines work the same way : Under particular circumstances, we can asssign an IAS > 250 kts below FL100 to an aircraft.

• Our OPS manual states it’s ok
  • SERA states it’s ok
  • Part-CAT states it’s ok

But some airlines refuse to fly such clearances because it’s prohibited by their ops manual.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 22 Nov 19:18

ATC’s don’t make rules of their own. Each ATC units obey an ops manual where such procedure are defined

Of course. You as an ATCO have to play by the rules given to you. That’s clear.
But if an airport doesn’t “want” to do SVFR, they need to have it clearly published in the AIP.

LELL is inside Barcelona CTR, but just barely. In addition, an ATZ is surrounding the airport. ATZs are usually made for specific reason: to define a volume of airspace around an airport in which a certain set of rules applies.

In any case I will return to Girona LEGE and avoid all that trouble the following Monday by departing from an “IFR” airport – whatever that term really might mean :-)

Where can I sign the petition for IFR clearances with void times from any airfield?

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 22 Nov 19:29
Sign in to add your message