Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Weather today

The weather sometimes throws a surprise. I hadnt looked at the winds aloft today, but there was a gentle breeze on the ground and the onset of a cold mass moving west from continental Europe. There was a very low inversion at around 2,000 feet and winds above were 40 knots with very little turbulence. It was an unusual combination and unexpected.

This looks like a good thread for this pic

That hilltop is about 700ft AMSL. This is about right:

EGKK 150950Z 17007KT 9000 BKN007 09/08 Q0989

This winter has been one of the worst for flying that I remember.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Agreed. Much more snow in my area than last few years.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Madonna is getting so much snow that even if one could fly there (Bolzano) one would be skiing in CAT3 conditions

Administrator

Peter wrote:

EGKK 150950Z 17007KT 9000 BKN007 09/08 Q0989

Flew from EGKA to Basel LFSB this morning and it turned out to be a nice flight, although quite a stretch of en-route IMC at FL180 and a strong headwind.

“This winter has been one of the worst for flying that I remember.”

Very fortunate that you chose this winter for the TKS project then!

United States

Regarding this winter, I disagree with you. We had many nice winter days to fly above clouds in the sun. The possibility to land on snowcovered surfaces was a welcome experience and only the fact, that the temperature in the cockpit was sometimes far below too achieve the comfortzone was anoying. I did around 40 hrs up to now this year. I had only one flight to cancel due of possible severe icing. That‘s okay.

EDDS , Germany

Little wonder not many people are thinking about aviation

Administrator

What’s wrong with it? Looks like standard winter ops…

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

What’s wrong with it ???

Well, for a start, there’s no Husky, Maule or SuperCub parked in that nice airfield. I have complained to the forum management about this on several occasions, but to no effect.

But yes, as a friend remarked the other day: in Britain you had “the beast from the East” while in Finland, we had… Wednesday.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message