Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Good books to read (aviation related)

just finished reading True North by George Erickson.
Published in 2000, the story takes one along a fascinating voyage into the freedom and vastness of the Canadian and US Northern wilderness, flying a float equipped Piper Cub.

What’s more, digital download is free, just click here True North

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I’ve been reading a lot of WW2 books (non-fiction) from the British, Norwegian, US and German POVs. But not from the Russian, Japanese or even Polish or Swedish.

I find the Russian POV most interesting at the moment. Any suggestions? (Should be in English, Norwegian, Swedish or Danish.)

Cold war books are also of great interest, from the Soviet POV.

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

Capitaine wrote:

For Tintin fans this website is amazing

Not only Tintin. Buck Danny as well and lots of other stuff. Careful, this site may well keep you busy for a looong time.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

On the site referenced by @Capitaine I found a true treasure cove of flight test reports, most of them in French.

http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/archives/archives_vrac.html

There are also other things in there, such as the original training manual for the DC3 and more of this kind.

Have to say I spent ridiculous amounts of time on that site yesterday. Dog in a butchers shop kind of binge consumation You have been warned.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The outgoing president at Aubigny has written 14 books about GA, including flying in Africa and a round trip to Beijing: fnac, amazon (all in French; I’ve not actually read any). LFEH was recommended as a fly-in destination by @Jujupilote here.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Quite a nice, somewhat folksy read, is the late Paul Rooy’s Skymaster in Tierra del Fuego.

Paul Rooy unfortunately was killed by the insidious 337 Skymaster rear engine failure on take off. Being centre line thrust, and incredibly noisy, it is not obvious you have lost a rear engine. With an anemic SE ROC, if the rear engine is not feathered, the front engine will take you to the scene of the accident.

Bizarrely, the CLT 337 design had an even worse accident record than the conventional piston twins.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Dan wrote

just finished reading True North by George Erickson

Just finished it too – thanks for the recommendation @Dan

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Reading and studying A C Kermode Mechanics of Flight. This author wrote a series of books on aerodynamics and aeroplane structures, and design. Interestingly, some airline interview panels are reverting to old school type fundamental questions and away from random question bank selections, so hopefully there will be a rediscovery of these well written primers.

The author did feature in a thread on EuroGA back in 2013, but only as an amusing aside, the two posters seem to have retired from the forum.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

well @Capitaine, returning the thanks to you
Just finishing off the read of Paris Pekin Paris- La grande envolée. The author carried me on this magnificent aerial adventure, real flying before GPS and other electronic gimmicks. Ok, being more than fluent in French helps somewhat

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

https://www.amazon.de/Segeln-%C3%BCber-den-Alpen-Hochgebirgsfluges/dp/3613038153

I don’t know if there is an english translation for it. This is a collection of short stories about some flights he did, the last part is a basic guide. The age is apparent in the style, but the writing along with the images convey the experience quite well. Just not every advice is what I consider to be safe, for example keeping “half a wingspan” from the cliff is a bit too close for my taste.

Maybe not for those who prefer to have at least 5000 feet between the mountain tops and the plane, it opens a whole new perspective on flying the alps.

Berlin, Germany
Sign in to add your message