Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Good books to read (aviation related)

I just finished A Higher Call by Adam Makos. A journalist interviewed a B-17 veteran for a magazine article, who said, “go talk to the Bf 109 pilot”. The ‘incredible true story’ premise sounds predictable, but it’s well written, and the majority of the book, about the Luftwaffe ace, is fascinating.

Currently reading Mon rêve et mes combats, the autobiography of centenarian aircraft designer René Fournier . So far it’s good. Only available direct from the author or publisher. Review of the English translation in UK Pilot magazine.

Silvaire wrote:

Flights of Fancy by Frank Kingston Smith,

I read Week-End Pilot, this book, and I’d Rather be Flying Instrument and Multi Engine at Christmas, and found them all enjoyable, with a window into 1950s/60s GA flying. Flying the Bahamas is next, but I’m waiting for a cheap copy of the hardback edition (the bindings have to match… I’m like that).

etn wrote:

L’oiseau Canari by Armand Lotti

An excellent book – thank you for the recommendation. Lucky it’s been digitised, or would probably be completely forgotten. I’m tempted to translate it to English, but not sure where to start.

kwlf wrote:

‘Slide Rule’ is an autobiography of Nevil Shute

Good, but it ended too soon. According to Wikipedia the planned sequel, Set Square, was never written. He later designed weird and wonderful weapons for the navy. I also read Round the Bend, setting up an airline in the Middle East post WWII, which included ‘real’ aviation bits like aircraft and mechanic licensing.

RobertL18C wrote:

A C Kermode Mechanics of Flight

Approachable, and I learnt a lot, mostly things I had never really thought about. Thank you for the recommendation.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Hello,

Has anyone got an opinion/viewed following book: Single-Pilot IFR Pro Tips by Gary Reeves
I am looking for an IFR related books with tips or practical info.

Thanks in advance !

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Peter wrote:

Nearly finished Concorde by Mike Bannister

Great recommendation. Thanks Peter. It was quite fascinating to listen ( I prefer it over reading).

EDMB, Germany

I’m currently reading Flights of Fancy by Frank Kingston Smith, plucked off my 95 year old father’s bookshelf. I think it was his second book and was written about 1960. It’s the story of him selling his first trainer plane, renting for a while to get his feet wet with longer distance trips, then buying a new Piper Comanche 250 that he flies here and there. The total lack of authoritarian airport, airspace and radio hassles should be a lesson, as should the way FAA infrastructure for GA was fully functional sixty-five years ago, including mixed private GA and CAT operations at very busy airports, with near zero IT ‘technology’ and no complex procedures.

Flightaware says that same Comanche was flying on May 10th (2023), apparently still going strong. Good machines.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Jul 03:00

The tales of setting up the postal service in South America especially the flights over the Andes from Argentina to Chile are equally compelling. There is a film (can’t remember the title) starring Val Kilmer covering one of the pilots having to put down in the Andes and walk to safety. Well worth watching, especially for pilots, particularly French pilots, as all the names so revered in early French aviation are mentioned.

France

Fear not for me @Aart… nor for you or anybody else. Having recently watched the 1933 movie SOS Eisberg or Iceberg, available thru the dubious Internet Archive, convinced me that the Inuits are one of the most helpful tribes around.
Whoever bless them

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

My apologies @Dan , I should have made an exception for you in spite of the fact that the Inuits would not have given you that kind of welcome

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

Folks, us aviators of today are a bunch of wimps.

Well said @Aart.
Though those Moors are still lurking

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Re-reading ‘Antoine de Saint Exupéry’ by Curtis Cate. Read it before but getting to old to remember, so it’s all new

Amazing, the risks involved in flying these postal runs along the West coast of Africa. High probability of engine failure, and not the ideal terrain to land. And if you made it, a couple of well armed Moors awaiting you with a ‘warm’ welcome. Folks, us aviators of today are a bunch of wimps.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Not sure if it’s mentioned elsewhere on EuroGA (probably ), but Internet Archive offers books, magazines, and other stuff, a good part of it being free to download.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
140 Posts
Sign in to add your message