Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IR Testing iPAd

Apologies if this has been asked before (it probably has), but what recommendations would you guys suggest for iPad based JAA/FAA IR theoretical knowledge testing? The reason I have asked for either is because I am just want to begin a slow process of working out my knowledge gaps in preparation some time next year to consider either an EASA or FAA IR studying. I know this wont totally prepare me (especially if I have my hoped pinned on a EASA CBM IR), but its better than nothing, and its interesting to me anyhow.

Ideally I wanted something on the iPad so I can do it offline at my convenience, though I have seen numerous online sources (and they have been covered here), but having seeing a number of apps in the AppStore, I am not sure what is a good one or not.

For FAA, I found Dauntless GroundSchool to be the best app by far, although also the most expensive. I think I tried almost all of them.

I used flyingexam.com. It was recommended by GTS, where I did 3 days of classroom.

It had some website issues (somebody had just discovered javascript, I think) but was cheap and did the job. I got first time passes in everything, including air law and met whose exams I did 37 times before I was scoring over 85% consistently. I just laid on a bean-bag and hammered the QB.

It's a website, not an Ipad app.

Knowledge gaps? It will be a miracle if you learn anything useful in the JAA IR theory

My long tome on this is here, in case you get bored

The gotcha is that to sit the writtens you have to get signed off by an FTO (someone like GTS or the much better recommended CATS) and they won't sign you off until you have (a) paid them ~£1000 and (b) handed in some homework which needs to be done to an "acceptable" standard. And the QB revision won't help you with the homework, which (with GTS) uses a very different load of questions. I recall that CATS used the same questions for their homework as their online QB so clearly CATS (and their online QB) is the way to go otherwise you are making a lot more work for yourself.

For FAA (PPL, IR, CPL) I used the ASA books. They worked for me. I just read them once and did the computer test a number of times (the CD came with each book). In fact the CPL was passed with no revision at all, because the FAA CPL is mostly a load of aircraft-technical stuff (which I knew anyway) and some regulatory stuff ("holding out" being a good one).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FWIW, Sporty's have just released their FAA IR App. No idea how good it is, though.

Thanks, the Dauntless Ground school one seems to have the best write up and reviews so will probably go with that. I noticed they had one for FAA and one for JAA (which because it is European must automatically explain why it costs £7 more).I read the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook on the iPad while I was on honeymoon by the pool last year - which I consider much more productive than the 'Fifty shades of Grey' my wife read ;-) Thanks Peter also, I am sure I have read your write up before, and would have found it interesting, and will have another scan through anyhow.

which because it is European must automatically explain why it costs £7 more

You get a lot more questions so 7 quid sounds like a bargain

which I consider much more productive than the 'Fifty shades of Grey' my wife read

If she starts reading such stuff on the honeymoon already, you might want to consider spending less time with airplanes

You could also have a look at aviationexam.com. Questionbank for ATPL, CPL or IR and also available for iPad. I have no connection, just stumbled upon them recently.

In addition, have a look at the IP Trainer from ASA, an IR specific flight simulator. You can really get a good idea on IR procedures before starting your training.

Be warned of aviationexam.com. Their question database contains everything that was ever found in the official databases so you end up learning 70% that isn't in the official databases anymore. Guess after how many weeks of using I found out...

I used aviationexam.com recently (in common with most people I met at Gatwick doing the CAA IR exams). I found the software excellent. I can believe that the database contains more than the official questions, but better that way than the other way round.

I don't think it's as much as 70%, though. My technique was to pass the aviationexam practice exams with 85% or more, three times in a row. In the actual exams, my grades were about 5-10% above, so possibly a slight waste of effort :)

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

You get a lot more questions so 7 quid sounds like a bargain

That's fair, my comment was in jest really but I assumed it was do with the additional questions or categoristions.

If she starts reading such stuff on the honeymoon already, you might want to consider spending less time with airplanes

Lol, really? There's 2 things I have committed to this year and last. One is to know absolutely nothing about Fifty Shades of Grey, and the other is never hear a Justin Beiber song .

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message