Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Europe

I maybe moving to Germany. I am a FAA/US Pilot. (IFR)

How hard is it fly in Europe? I am considering ferrying my airplane to Europe or selling it in the US. It's a Mooney/M20K (262 Trophy Mod)

Any tips for if it is remotely feasible to bring the airplane are appreciated.

It looks like you'll have to get EASA licenses and ratings, even if flying only N-regs.

You could write books about how "difficult" european flying is as opposed to US... But there are positive sides to it as well. The scenery is very diverse. You can visit very different countries and cultures with just a few hours of flying. I love it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

If you remain a US citizen and can appear to be US resident, the need for EASA papers may be avoided. Also some reasonable conversion routes may appear in 1-2 years' time.

European flying involves a load more crap on the ground but the flying is not a lot different - especially if you have an IR. Some writeups here.

You can fly a plane (with a decent range) to Europe, via Greenland, Iceland, etc.

You can base an N-reg in Europe no problem. There are plenty of A&P/IAs around.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As said above but with one twist. If you are part of the US Military and being based in Germany then you should not be treated as living in Europe, however, if you move due to work or any other reasons and your permanent home is in Europe then you willhave to pass all EASA writtens and flight test.

Ben

It is perfectly fine. I fly N reg on FAA licence. Yes there are some changes but worst case you convert to an EASA licence. Best case you just fly.

EGTK Oxford
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message