Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Circular runways?

Yes, we could look into a Private Sector Finance agreement, con the UK Government into giving us the M25 Motorway. After a few pesky bridges have been demolished we will then……………

(a) solve runway capacity problems around London
(b) cause traffic chaos which will be so bad it will spark a new boom in GA
(c) Peter’s electronics company can build the ILS which moves on rails a bit like a Greyhound track.

South Mimms Services and Road Chef Clacket Lane will be re-named the “Millibar Cafe” and “The Aviator Restaurants” – after which they will only serve Breakfasts and instant coffee!!

United Kingdom

Let’s do a EuroGA proposal for it. We’ve lots of cross European Expertise here.

We could get approval for millions of funding. Then we’d need a big flying (all expenses paid from the funding) to meet up and discuss the proposal. Then we’d need another flyin to do some actual testing. Then another flyin to review the results and create a report. Then another flyin to approve the final report (which calls for further study) .

All travel expenses would be paid from the funding, on receipt of a completed flight plan.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter, I think that this would be an excellent idea….and when it doesn’t work it could be reopened as a motor racing track…Weybridge, Surrey would be a good location for it?

Indeed; collaborative projects are much more likely to get EU funding, due to collaboration being politically correct. It’s a well worn road. It’s the same with development conferences; they are held in 3rd World countries, in very posh hotels from which the delegates never need to come out

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A follow up on the BBC Website about the original circular runways article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39643292

A very telling part of the Article in my mind was as follows

*Henk Hesselink conducts his work from the Netherlands Aerospace Centre and has received funding from the European Commission to research circular runways, leading a consortium of five European research institutes.

United Kingdom

Oh, now I know: It’s an effort to give the DME arc new glory. I knew there was a solution LOL

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Whenever I see things like this, I always think of Adam Savage famous quote:

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

How exactly would an ILS or even Cat II or III approach work in this case ? How many approaches and glideslopes will be constructed here ? Which minima will apply ? What is the limitation for overshooting or landing a bit longer – would they put the 747 or 320 into the bushes when it takes a bit more flare ? How to cope with the changing wind direction during takeoff roll ? Will there be a new word like “whirly crosswind” ?

How would they organise the SID’s and arrival routes ? And how would they link the starting and landing aircraft to the airspace and airways which I assume will stay as they are ?

The circular grass fields of the 1920ies were just large patches where one at least could takeoff and landing a straight line.

This idea here – well, I agree with Peter. And maybe the smoking stuff was a bit overdue in this case.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 18 Mar 10:27
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

@CKN – I asked Brian about it, and he said that several people in the UK have the same trouble – probably some weird DNS issue, rather than the CAA or GCHQ censoring subversive colonial flying anecdotes.

The solution, for the time being, is to access https://tailwheelersjournal.com via a US proxy server such as https://www.proxysite.com/

That seems to route around the roadblock.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Clearly, there are some fine smoking materials available in Holland, but I don’t at all like the idea of a circle; much too “Roman”. And the current prejudice towards straight/parallel/rectangular strips of blacktop is just as austere and unimaginative.

Aesthetically, and to facilitate multiple simultaneous landings, I favour a sinusoidal runway – preferably with variable wavelenth and amplitude to suit different aircraft categories.

Would also be nice for those of us who haven’t altogether mastered conventional undercarriage.

There, that’s my Friday afternoon contribution for this week. And (since they’re kind enough to send shoe and handbag money to Mrs J for being a poor farmer’s wife), I’ll not even send a bill for my idea to Brussels.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message