Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What country to move your EASA PPL to?

FWIW, I have moved my license to Austria. Very quick and efficient, BUT now waiting for the CAA to process the whole shabang. Will post updates if and when available. As an aside, I’ve also heard from several people that the IAA are totally snowed under.

Peter wrote:

I am puzzled as to why someone who e.g. never lived in the UK should have a UK license.

Perhaps for similar reasons as someone who never lived in the US has an FAA license ?

That’s completely different. An FAA license is required to fly an N-reg (well, in most practical scenarios; the 61.3 concession is almost useless). But one EASA license is just the same as any other as far as privileges go.

In the current political climate I would expect mainland Europeans with UK CAA papers to move them to their national CAA. However it may be a good idea to review the latest “no deal brexit” position of Mr Barnier before spending too much time on this. There was some stuff there about aviation. They need to accept UK papers of all the airline pilots flying around Europe.

Interesting input on the German option…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I am puzzled as to why someone who e.g. never lived in the UK should have a UK license.

I never lived in the UK but had a UK PPL. When I decided to get a license, I went on google to find the fastest way and found a school in Wales offering PPL in one month. That sounded better than one year estimate I heard over here in Poland. Finished within 1,5 month or so with a UK PPL. I kept it for a few years, but the response times of the UK CAA were very long. I moved the license to Poland around the time I got IR. Much faster responses over here.

Last Edited by loco at 07 Jan 20:08
LPFR, Poland

Peter wrote:

That’s completely different.

No, it isn’t. It’s where the training facilities are. The UK has (had?) a very well developed commercial training scene, and that’s why many commercial pilots around the world fly on UK CAA papers. Especially in a EU context, this worked extremely well. We’ll find out what the final result is and I’m sure there will be some sort of concession for CAT. If this extends to PPL level, I’m not so sure. In any case, hoping and praying should never be confused with preparing and planning – which is why Austria has gained a few thousand pilots over the year or so, same for Ireland. As an aside, the N-reg has nothing to do with it – it’s your (wise, IMO) choice to fly an N-reg, nobody forces you to do so.

172driver wrote:

The UK has (had?) a very well developed commercial training scene, and that’s why many commercial pilots around the world fly on UK CAA papers

Exactly, I actually converted from FAA to EASA, I found a great ATO that allowed me to do it all in one day, they provided a great service and could do it all on the spot, I found nothing similar in other European countries.

Regarding the “no deal brexit” position, if not flying G reg regularly, I would highly recommend transferring.

I would imagine (and comments on this are welcome) that an originally UK CAA issued license, would entitle the bearer to demand an UK NPPL (or whatever it will be called) in case of a no deal.

LFMD, Monaco

When applying to the UK CAA for converting a UK PPL to an EASA PPL there was an option to get a UK PPL as well. Many of us have both.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Yes, JAA to EASA conversion did allow to get a UK PPL as option

If you never hold a JAA PPL, the alternative way to secure a UK PPL is to get a NPPL on basis on EASA PPL and accept upgrade costs later or get a UK PPL on the basis to fly an annex ii/i aircraft that you can’t fly on NPPL: something heavy than 200kg (out of scope) or requiring a type rating (cant be attached to nppl), anyone with a Concord in his backyard?

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Jan 00:23
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

what_next wrote:

Just the same way as in Iceland, Switzerland and Norway and other non-EU EASA members (if there are any others).

Liechtenstein

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Maoraigh wrote:

When applying to the UK CAA for converting a UK PPL to an EASA PPL there was an option to get a UK PPL as well.

Most United Kingdom pilot’s licences are still available although the advantages are few. An obvious example is the operation of a US-registered aircraft in UK airspace which may appeal to the holder of a Part-FCL licence granted by other than UK.

London, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

One of my friends lost half of one leg as a teenager and wanted a PPL. The danish CAA and AME could not handle it but the UK had no problem issuing a class 2 medical to him and the UK schools also had no problem training with hand control in a PA28.

I see now from AOPA that the danish CAA lost a couple of court cases where they had their own interpretation of EASA rules.

EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message