Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What was your most beautiful airfield on an island?

After flying 300 hours VFR with a base airport in Switzerland Sion (LSGS), I doing this stats. I realize that I like the islands (14 islands).

So my question: What was your most beautiful airfield on an island? (In Europe, close to water)

My top 3 was:
- Spain LEIB – Ibiza (perfect!)
- Croatia LDLO – Mali Losinj (very scenic)
- Italy LIRJ – Isola d’Elba Marina di Campo (Bad point : Avgas it too expensive, but Corsica is near)

I want to add Malta LMML – Luqa because it was a great trip (Bad point : handling is expensive and mandatory)

Last Edited by JB at 11 Apr 12:11
JB
LSGB, LSGS

JB wrote:

Croatia LDLM – Mali Losinj (very scenic)

Actually it’s LDLO

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

JB wrote:

I want to add Malta LMML…

Malta would be my first choice too. I have been on holiday there many times, there is no better place if one is interested in (ancient) culture and history. Great destination for diving as well. I have flown there once myself on a cargo trip but my private visits were all by airline. For me it makes no sense to fly there privately, the airline flight costs less than the first hour to charter an IFR capable tourer… And there is not really much you can do there flying-wise – a full tour of the islands takes less than one flying hour. And regarding the handling: It was not cheap but not overly expensive either and among the best services I have ever received. We were assigned one handling agent who did everything for us, from marshalling us into the parking position, driving us to the hotel and picking us up the next day, taking us through security, and doing the paperwork.

If Ireland and the UK also count as islands I would have a few more favorite destinations to add

Last Edited by what_next at 11 Apr 14:15
EDDS - Stuttgart

- Ile d’yeu is very nice LFEY – good food and they bring bicycles to cycle around the island to the airfield if you want to
- Corsica – any airfield there realy from Calvi to Figari all very nice just a great flight there as well.
- Brac – just because I like the approach :-) – they are also incredibly friendly LDSB

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

what_next wrote:

If Ireland and the UK also count as islands

Of course, islands in Europe but I would like airports close to the water.

JB
LSGB, LSGS

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Ile d’yeu is very nice LFEY

This week-end.

JB
LSGB, LSGS

In 12 years flying I’ve somehow only made it to 4 islands, but I can recommend all of them:

LDLO Losinj – close tho Mali Losinj town, no ground transport required, but town and surroundings get very crowded in high season
LDSB Brac – wonderful bigger island, but you need transport to get around
LFEY Ile d’Yeu – lovely small island, you can tour it in an easy day per bike
LFEA Belle Ile – again a bigger island, enough to discover for a long weekend

Last Edited by blueline at 11 Apr 15:18
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I still think Alderney on a glorious day takes some surpassing.

JB wrote:

Of course, islands in Europe but I would like airports close to the water.

As EDWJ Juist in Germany or EKAT Anholt in Denmark, of course airfields, no airports. We are there every year.

Berlin, Germany

My favourites are Venice Lido and the Scillies. Both very close to water.

47 Posts
Sign in to add your message