Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avoiding high FRAPORT and HANDLING costs in Greece

boscomantico wrote:

So, I think the only thing to do is to inform people, as far accurately possible, about the fees to be expected (which happened in the other thread), and point them to the gotchas to avoid getting charged any higher fees than absolutely necessary (most all getting PPR directly from the CAA office rather than through the handling agent).
If that is done, than a short stop at one of the Fraport airports should not cost moee than 90 Euros all-in.

Well I did exactly that – got PPR directly from Kefalonia LGKF, spent 2 hours there (I wanted to spend 15 min but it took 2 hours to get invoice) and yet I paid 162€.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Sebastian_G wrote:

This depends on the uplift but when buying JetA1 often it pays off to accept higher fees at bigger airports in order to get a better deal on fuel.

Jet A1 (AIR BP) in Greece is expensive:
- LGKR 137 liters is 224.24€ – 1.64€/l
- LGMG 161 liters is 274.10€ – 1.70€/l

As an example I usually pay some 0.4€/l in Sarajevo LQSA or up to 0.5€/l in Belgrade LYBE or around 1€/l in Croatia.

BTW According to IATA currect price of Jet A1 at market is 0.35€/l so everything on top of this price is uplift.

Last Edited by Emir at 26 Apr 08:37
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Well I did exactly that – got PPR directly from Kefalonia LGKF, spent 2 hours there (I wanted to spend 15 min but it took 2 hours to get invoice) and yet I paid 162€.

Sorry, but then I don’t understand why people (in this case you) just pay, without asking at least some unpleasant questions. Your LGKF invoice shows 50€ “PPR service”! WTF?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Sorry, but then I don’t understand why people (in this case you) just pay, without asking at least some unpleasant questions.

You’re right. But I was exhausted of all logistics issues I had on this trip that I didn’t have strength to ask one more question

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

So Emir to understand this right you got PPR from LGKF FRAPORT directly (per NOTAM) and yet SWISSPORT charged you for this as if they had gotten the PPR themselves ?

LGMG Megara, Greece

petakas wrote:

So Emir to understand this right you got PPR from LGKF FRAPORT directly (per NOTAM) and yet SWISSPORT charged you for this as if they had gotten the PPR themselves ?

Yes. Here’s the e-mail I got from LGKF FRAPORT:

On 21 Apr 2017, at 09:11, EFL PPR <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello from kefalonia,

Your request for ppr is approved

Your PPR nbr is : LGKF00162104/22040820/22040920

Best Regards,

Pavlos Vasilopoulos
EFL Duty Manager
Fraport Greece

Phone +30 6985053852

[email protected]
www.fraport-greece.com

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

In the end, it doesn’t really matter who “got” the PPR. Even if you had asked the handling agent to get it for you….walking over next door to the CAA office and letting them know the ETA of a small aircraft cannot cost 50 or 60 Euros, on top of the “normal” handling charge. That’s extortionate.

In my view, this has gone out of control in Greece. To a point where fees are simply invented, without any basis (pricelist). This one would expect in say, Belarus, but not in a EU country.

In fact, even the aopa.gr site, for the Fraport airports, now says to expect “roughly 200 Euro per visit” (with AOPA discount) despite this not resulting from adding up things from the pricelist…

I will stay away this year and hope it will all sort itself out, with transparent fees again, towards next season.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 26 Apr 15:21

boscomantico wrote:

I will stay away this year and hope it will all sort itself out, with transparent fees again, towards next season

I am surprised following your previous criticism for suggesting such action.

LFPT, LFPN

You said something very different.

I think the occassional European visitors (mostly they are well funded N Europeans) will still fly to Greece and take the €100-200 extra cost as the cost of flying there.

The problem is that this kills the local traffic and without that we will lose the avgas airports, and without avgas flying to Greece becomes almost impossible.

Say only Corfu had avgas. A TB20 can do almost anywhere in Greece and back, from Corfu. But it gets tight especially with wind. And very few other types have as much range. And Corfu has no alternates that have avgas. The nearest is Dubrovnik! Brindisi has no avgas, like most of S Italy. So if you want to be practical (meaning, not planning an alternate where you will have to abandon the plane until shipping a drum or two of avgas there, at some €600/drum plus 4 figures shipping) then Corfu will be useless too.

In the end only the community at Megara will survive. And that isn’t a port of entry, which makes it highly inconvenient for visitors.

Greece is such a perfect case for GA, with the island airports and the ferries which take for ever… they just seem incapable of getting themselves organised.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message