Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avoiding high FRAPORT and HANDLING costs in Greece

In Greece, it appears you need to stay for a week or two (or just land at an Air Force base) because the tie down charges aren’t that much. Think of it in terms of cost per flight hour and the charges somehow get less offensive. If you can afford to get there in your own plane, you can afford to get ripped off without howling in pain. How much do you love Greece?

I feel increasing affection for their Air Force! Megara, what a bargain and great guys too!

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 19 May 19:45
Tököl LHTL

I just redid the calculation with petakas’ correction. It is “down” to 318 Euros total
(that’s about 100 for Goldair and the rest for airport plus Goldair 10% surcharge)
I believe the IFR slot fee is in there?

Aircraft MTOW 1999 Kg, 1 PAX. Extra 400.

At LGMG Megara, I have a hangar for 6 days plus PPR organised for 200 €. That’s decent I believe.
Will try to organize an airport of exit that is less crazy. Ran out of time on this one…

Last Edited by Flyingfish at 19 May 21:56
LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Think of it in terms of cost per flight hour and the charges somehow get less offensive

That statement just made my night.

Or think about enfia tax rates etc. locals are paying right now, and maybe you will pay extra willingly.

@Flyingfish
Or you can tie down at Megara (one of the few airports in Greece with tie down hook!) for something like Euro a day. The hangars (all private) are expensive!

Tököl LHTL

Hi

With the 2 trends on Greek airport and the number of posts, I am in part confused while the other part of me is not willing to believe on the current (price) status.

I am planning a week trip northwards starting from my home base LCPH on the 11th June. The first night I was planning to stay at LGSR. Right, after all the reading, I need a port of entry, exit, Santorini, multiplied for 3 airports and considering that I would not pay a landing, I can see already EUR 550 on the coats side. Not a nice incentive for a visit to one of the beautiful islands in the Mediterranean Sea. (LGRP – LGST – LGKR)

Option 2 would be to avoid Greece, but coming from Cyprus, next stop would be FYROM. LCPH – LWOH or LWSK is approximately 05:30, leaving me with about 10 USG on arrival. Not felling comfortable at all. I could stop in one of the entry ports on the way, LGRP or LGSM for fuel, my doubt is: would it be consider a technical stop and if so, how much (estimate) it would cost me?

I am not familiar with the current aviation School procedures in Cyprus, but I can also see the impact on the mandatory cross-country, which, as far as I know were using mostly one of the entry points and Megara for it.

Thanks

Luis

LPSR, Portugal

LGRP – LGST – LGKR

Not sure if this was meant to be LGRP – LGSR – LGKR (LGSR=Santorini).

You could go Cyprus – Sitia LGST – Santorini LGSR – Skopje, if you have the range, and then you pay the Fraport ripoff charge only once. I think LGST is of the order of €50.

LGSR and LGST are both a port of entry.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Not sure if this was meant to be LGRP – LGSR – LGKR (LGSR=Santorini).
You could go Cyprus – Sitia LGST – Santorini LGSR – Skopje, if you have the range, and then you pay the Fraport ripoff charge only once. I think LGST is of the order of €50.
LGSR and LGST are both a port of entry

Sorry, my mistake I meant Santorini. Don’t know why but I was not considering LGSR as a port of entry, being so, I don’t need to look for an additional one for exiting.

What I might consider is LCPH – LGST (refuel 10 USG) – LWOH, considering Sitia a port of entry and a refueling point.

Sitia can also be a good place for a fuel stop on my visit ‘home’ to Portugal in August.

LPSR, Portugal

Peter wrote:

LGRP – LGSR – LGKR

Rhodes – Santorini – Corfu

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

lmsl1967 wrote:

my doubt is: would it be consider a technical stop and if so, how much (estimate) it would cost me?

Α TECHNICAL stop is usually recognized by handlers & airport admin. as a stop for fuel etc. only without embarking new passengers from landside or disembarking for landside of the airport. In this case they charge less but you need to confirm that this is the case for your specific flight.

Go to www.aopa.gr/Info to the page about handling, choose your handler, send an email to the handler of the airport you want explaining the flight’s details (aircraft, passengers, technical stop or not etc.) and ask them for a quote on the price to expect. Most handlers in Greece are prompt on email communications.

LGMG Megara, Greece

LWOH is great but they do not have 100LL. Stay at some B&B in the old town. Visit the roman ruins, the churches. Get a guide.

LWSK has 100LL and is also a non-bullshit, low-cost stop.If you decide to stay the night I recommend Bushi Resort & Spa right next to the old Bazaar. Make sure to get a Thaï massage.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message