Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airspeed check against groundspeed (and stabilised approaches)

Do you check the ASI against the GPS groundspeed routinely during an approach?

Negative

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

No

EDDS - Stuttgart

Nope

EGTK Oxford

No.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hm. Time to begin a sub-group or a counter-forum, meseemeth…

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Yes, especially if there’s a tailwind.

Also, when calibrating, we fly a constant power approach (changes in power produce spikes on the graph) and we need to ensure an average groundspeed of 140kts. Consequently, in a nil-wind scenario, we will start a run at 11nm and 3180ft and 100KIAS, abeam the G/P antenna at 182KIAS and over the Localiser at 108KIAS. If there is a wind, we then have to adjust our starting point IAS, thus affecting our G/P and LOC speeds. It can all get rather interesting when flying an approach with a 30kt tailwind!!

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 21 May 19:23
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

This might also be relevant, although I suspect Fuji is referring to checking the accuracy of the ASI before flying an approach.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dave_Phillips wrote:

Yes, especially if there’s a tailwind.

Also, when calibrating, we fly a constant power approach (changes in power produce spikes on the graph) and we need to ensure an average groundspeed of 140kts. Consequently, in a nil-wind scenario, we will start a run at 11nm and 3180ft and 100KIAS, abeam the G/P antenna at 182KIAS and over the Localiser at 108KIAS. If there is a wind, we then have to adjust our starting point IAS, thus affecting our G/P and LOC speeds. It can all get rather interesting when flying an approach with a 30kt tailwind!!

Peter it was partly to do with ASI accuracy and partly to do with a tailwind turning into no wind or even a headwind, and partly to do with landing at airports without a windsock or any ground radio. Dave, I assume you are therefore monitoring the IAS against the GS from teh start of your run? What range of differences have you seen over the course of a run?

I think the worst I have seen is a reported surface wind giving about 7-10kts headwind with a 20kt tailwind at 3000ft. That is not a unique occurrence.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom
71 Posts
Sign in to add your message