Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Paris around Bastille Day

I’ll be flying to Paris (Toussus) on 11/7, leaving 14/7. First time I go there in that period so I was a bit surprised that special procedures have been put in place which are quite similar in size and impact to the London 2012 Olympics https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/pub/media/store/documents/file/l/f/lf_sup_2017_118_fr.pdf.

I know we have some Paris controllers on Euroga, I was wondering if I should expect massive delays, IFR, or if they’re just being cautious but flying will continue ?

(Not that the presence of the Donald will make things easier I suppose, I just hope he won’t do a Putin and have Toussus closed for 24h just so he’s not disturbed by the plebs, as happened in May).

EGTF, LFTF

Irrespective of those events, I totally avoid being in France on a 14/7. The whole country goes in tilt on that day.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Jul 08:11
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

As stated in the SUP AIP :

Comply with the instructions of the usual ATC unit; however, especially during the air show and its rehearsal, or for aviation security reasons (DPSA) :
- specific measures to control air traffic flow, which could go as far as the temporary suspension of flights, may be implemented on the aerodromes
of PARIS CHARLES DE GAULLE (LFPG), PARIS ORLY (LFPO), PARIS LE BOURGET (LFPB), TOUSSUS LE NOBLE (LFPN), PONTOISE (LFPT), MELUN VILLAROCHE (LFPM) and BEAUVAIS (LFOB). These measures, announced by PARIS CHARLES DE GAULLE APP and PARIS ORLY APP Control Centers, will be managed by the Aviation Activity Unit of Coordination (C2A2) to the best of its abilities, so that activity at these aerodromes is brought back to normal as quickly as possible.
– real time restrictions may be introduced to meet the military authorities demand.

Usually IFR flight suspension lasts about 1 hour for the air show (or it’s rehearsal).
It’s not only GA, airliners at major airports are shutdown too.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 02 Jul 17:06

I flew to Lille yesterday instead of Paris, turns out to be a super plan actually 4h30 from work in east London to home in Paris 14eme

The short flight was 40min VFR at 5500ft all the way to Lille, weather had some nastry patches, so most aircraft inbound from Belgian side were asking for “avoidance/evitement” but I did not see much of that comming for the east, then took us 10min to get out of Lille airport and 15min taxi to train station and then 1h TGV train to Paris, so Lille overall was just at par with Eurostar and it did beat all other alternatives I had going to Paris so far

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Jul 10:42
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message