Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Say Again - Radio (playback of ATC)

I do use it. I find it quite handy when I am instructing as I’m sometimes not sure if a call was for me or not

Thank you for answers – I will probably stick with Gamin because it matches the rest in the stack .

Norman
United Kingdom

The audio playback feature can cause confusion when flying with two pilots. If one pilot is replaying radio messages and the other pilot is not aware of it, he will respond over the radio to the recorded call. I’ve been through that

Peter wrote:

I cannot imagine any context in which playing back a call made to me would do me any good, because any reasonably competent ATCO (basically any ATCO in most if not all* of Europe) will give me at most a few seconds to respond to his/her call and then will be onto me pretty fast.

I am not sure that is the point. I seem to recall in the advertising material the point was that you played back the recording as the read back and of course the read back could only ever be correct. It always seemed to me complete nonesense as it would just seem “weird” to playback the instruction you had just be given but perhaps it does meet the legal requirement. It would be interesting to see what sort of reaction you actually got! I suppose on a positive point have we all had occasion where you give the correct read back, are very naughty not recording the whole clearance on your knee pad, but committing it to memory, and then when taxing suddently thinking was I actually cleared to cross x. At least you can listen to the recording rather than asking ATC to confirm.

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message