Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

EASA NPA for PBN

here

I think the most relevant-to-IFR-GA issues are

• it is proposed to remove the need for operational approval (i.e. no FAA PRNAV LOA, and no EASA PRNAV aircraft approval) (page 87 of the PDF, for example)
  • it is proposed to make mandatory some ground school for all types of GPS approaches, including for existing IR holders (page 15 of the PDF)

I don’t know if the mandatory course duration is mentioned in the document.

If there are any issues with sorting out the mandatory training, people will do what they have always done: fly the NDB/DME approach, but using the GPS That’s what I was doing before I got this piece of paper. Flying conventional-navaid approaches requires no special training! I guess the mandatory training proposition is based on the fact that the standard JAA IR contains navaid approaches but no GPS approaches, and no PBN concepts (whatever that is in the light GA context??).

I think this is all due in 2016.

Last Edited by Peter at 20 Dec 20:00
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes. EASAs rationale is that most existing IFR pilots did not do GPS approaches when they got their rating, hence the need for the future “GPS approach endorsement”.

It’s the typical bureaucrat’s way of thinking. They regulate everything that can be regulated, irrespective of whether it needs regulating. It’s a real shame.

Switzerland has already introduced their own version of the GPS approach endorsement, with lots of goldplating to boot. Germany has had something like this for 15 years now, albeit a much more pragmatic version of it.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Dec 20:40
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I was wrong about this proposal stopping the need for the FAA LoA. It won’t – at least not as things appear.

On the EASA PRNAV approval front, I have no idea. I can’t read the whole 200+ pages and work it out

However it does appear that if you do GPS approaches during your IR revalidation, that may satisfy the GPS training requirement. And anybody having their IR revalidated ought to be doing GPS approaches – not least because they are easy

Administrator

PBN (mandatory training for all GPS related IFR flight) – deadline August 2020

In this thread is an EASA document, here, which on page 2 has this

What does this exactly mean?

Does it mean mandatory training in order to do some of the following

• fly GPS approaches (LPV or non-LPV)
  • fly RNAV procedures of any kind (SIDs/STARs)
  • file flight plans with PBN/D2 /B2 etc etc

It refers to 25th August 2020 as a deadline after which this PBN stuff will be tested at every IR checkride. What does that mean?

Also how does this affect pilots flying into Europe on ICAO paperwork, who don’t need EASA equivalents? Has the USA implemented this stuff?

How does it affect aircraft avionics?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Also how does this affect pilots flying into Europe on ICAO paperwork, who don’t need EASA equivalents?

It doesn’t affect them, because it is an amendment to the PART-FCL aircrew regulation, which is only about EASA licenses. This doesn’t speak of any airspace requirements. But I wonder if member states will still be able to make up additional PBN requirements (for plane & pilot) for their airspace, or if the EU can rule that out.

Peter wrote:

Does it mean mandatory training in order to do some of the following
fly GPS approaches (LPV or non-LPV)
fly RNAV procedures of any kind (SIDs/STARs)
file flight plans with PBN/D2 /B2 etc etc

It means that you will have to have “PBN privileges” endorsed on your licence if you wish to do any of that after 25 August 2018 when the regulation takes effect.

It refers to 25th August 2020 as a deadline after which this PBN stuff will be tested at every IR checkride. What does that mean?

I’m not sure what aspect of that you’re uncertain about.

Also how does this affect pilots flying into Europe on ICAO paperwork, who don’t need EASA equivalents? Has the USA implemented this stuff?

The ICAO ops requirement is to change to remove the need for operational approval.

2.5.2.2 For operations where a navigation specification for performance-based navigation (PBN) has been prescribed, an aeroplane shall, in addition to the requirements specified in 2.5.2.1:
a) be provided with navigation equipment which will enable it to operate in accordance with the prescribed navigation specification(s); and
b) be authorized by the State of Registry for such operations. have information relevant to the aeroplane navigation specification capabilities listed in the flight manual or other aeroplane documentation approved by the State of the Design or State of Registry; and
c) where the aeroplane is operated in accordance with a MEL, have information relevant to the aeroplane navigation specification capabilities included in the MEL.

2.5.2.3 The State of Registry shall establish criteria for operations where a navigation specification for PBN has been prescribed.

2.5.2.4 In establishing criteria for operations where a navigation specification for PBN has been prescribed, the State of Registry shall require that the operator/owner establish:
a) normal and abnormal procedures including contingency procedures;
b) flight crew qualification and proficiency requirements in accordance with the appropriate navigation specifications;
c) training for relevant personnel consistent with the intended operations; and
d) appropriate maintenance procedures to ensure continued airworthiness in accordance with the appropriate navigation specifications.

I imagine the US will do nothing to change its current qualification and proficiency requirements.

How does it affect aircraft avionics?

It doesn’t.

It means that you will have to have “PBN privileges” endorsed on your licence if you wish to do any of that after 25 August 2018 when the regulation takes effect.

How would one obtain that?

I’m not sure what aspect of that you’re uncertain about.

How would it be tested?

It doesn’t.

It might if the IR revalidation (or the initial checkride if you are say doing the CB IR based IR conversion) requires a demonstration of PBN capability. You can’t do that with a KLN94 unless the demonstration is assured to be limited just flying a straight GPS/LNAV IAP.

If the IR reval requires PBN capable avionics beyond a straight GPS IAP capability then all the “old” avionics will have to be chucked out.

Administrator

I would like to see this implemented in Croatia where no ATO has decent aircraft and PBN in these aircrafts in science fiction. Moreover, I seriously doubt that more than one or two instructors and examiners know anything about PBN.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

In place of “Croatia” you could substitute most countries in Europe, including the UK in most respects.

Administrator

How would one obtain [PBN privileges]?

You do whatever (if anything) your NAA specifies and satisfy an examiner that you understand PBN at a prof check.

How would it be tested?

In principle it’s up to the NAA. In most cases, I would hope that they would consider the RNP APCH preformed on the prof check fits the bill.

If the IR reval requires PBN capable avionics beyond a straight GPS IAP capability then all the “old” avionics will have to be chucked out.

The IR prof check as set out in the published regulation is changed only in that PBN procedures and approaches may be used, and there is a requirement for one of the two approaches to be an RNP APCH. If your avionics does not support RNP APCH, then it probably does need replacement, but then, apart from a KNS80, what avionics satisfies RNAV5 and not RNP APCH?

478 Posts
Sign in to add your message