Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

Forgot about this stuff. 30 hours in and the place where I’m training for the full IR still doesn’t have PBN, so I guess it’s a trip abroad to finish it off as a CBIR next month.

EIMH, Ireland

Can’t they just incorporate The PBN Manual into their course?

Or do you mean that there’s no access to RNP approaches?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Well they could I guess, but they haven’t yet. SEIR students don’t really drive the agenda in these places! I guess by the time their next class of integrated ATPL students get to IR training they’ll have it done. It’s frustrating because I’m sure doing the CBIR abroad will open up a pandora’s box of new paperwork that the IAA will want to see, as well a ‘keener’ eye from the examiner.

Approaches are tricky here too. No chance of EIDW co-operating but I guess Shannon, Cork, or Knock are options.

EIMH, Ireland

An ATO doing the IR TK must incorporate PBN. @Bookworm, correct me if I am wrong.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Oh it might be in the TK by now, but I was talking about the flight training element.

EIMH, Ireland

Timothy wrote:

An ATO doing the IR TK must incorporate PBN. @Bookworm, correct me if I am wrong.

2016/539
The deadline for pilots to have PBN privileges was 25 August 2018
The deadline for training organisations to have PBN in their courses is 25 August 2020

You might think that the EASA ‘A’ team was not working on that project. I couldn’t possibly comment.

Is it still possible to do an initial IR skills test without PBN being tested?

EIMH, Ireland

Is it still possible to do an initial IR skills test without PBN being tested?

I believe not, but you can do the RNP part in an approved sim.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Thanks. Couldn’t have picked a worse time to do the IR by the looks of it! I passed the TK one cycle before PBN was brought into the Radio Nav exam. I arranged today to do the final 10 hours CBIR with PBN in Charleroi. I think because all of my training so far has been in the air, I should be able to do the whole 10 hours in the sim which makes it a bit handier.

EIMH, Ireland

…but there are loads of RNP approaches accessible from Charleroi…?

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message