Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

It can mostly be done in the SIM but they use Charleroi, Liege, and Lille. The main reason I need to go abroad is because my current FTO doesn’t have approval to conduct flight training or deliver TK for the PBN endorsement.

EIMH, Ireland

zuutroy wrote:

Is it still possible to do an initial IR skills test without PBN being tested?

I believe it is. At least, ATOs are legally forced to include PBN in their IR teaching only starting 25 August 2020. To be coherent, the courses they are allowed to give should lead to a test that gives a qualification.

However, you get a non-PBN IR, whose utility is rather limited, since you are not allowed on any RNP route, except maybe for the “off-airways OCAS IFR” that some member countries have. I think most (if not all) Eurocontrol routes require RNP5? Certainly all those that refer to named intersections (which are defined by coordinates), and not exclusively to NDBs, VORs, …

ELLX

My IR PC is coming up in November. I’m doing it with a freelance EX. To have my privileges extended to include PBN, I need the theoretical course before doing the PC. Are there any approved online courses or do I have to go to one of the ATOs to sit a class?

Thanks.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

Thanks Michael. I looked at these, but I couldn’t really figure out if these were approved and would be good enough for the CAA as TK.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

Well the last one is from Eurocontrol.

Just saw this one from Bristol Ground school.
https://www.bristol.gs/product/performance-based-navigation-pbn/

EKRK, Denmark

Oyster Air provides an online training + exam for 60GBP.

I did my IR checkride + PBN earlier this year and the Oyster Air certificate was sufficient for the theoretical part.

See: https://www.oysterair.com/pbn

I did the Oysterair one a year ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I did Bristol GS. Very straightforward course, most of the information is totally useless for my flying (eg knowing your way around an EFIS) but it was cheap and got the PBN endorsement I needed.

Bristol GS very efficient with paperwork etc – just printed the certificate.

I had a “licensing action” with the CAA shortly afterwards so they reissued my licence and it has the PBN printed on it now.

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

I didn’t do any course, was told to have a look at the PPL/IR manual, and then did one approach on my renewal.

Sign in to add your message