Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Earliest permitted startup clearance on an IFR flight plan?

2 days ago at LDLO, FP filed for 0700Z, they said I cannot start up until 0650Z.

It is probably correct (?) but Mali Losinj is a sleepy little place at 0700Z with nothing happening, and there is a potentially long VFR section before Pula pick you up for an enroute clearance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Did you have a CTOT?
If not, isn’t it that with Eurocontrol IFR flight plans (and with no CTOT) the OBT is normally +-15 minutes from the EOBT (0700Z in this case), except if there is a reason from ATC/crew, and that any change of this +-15min timeframe must be sent with a new message?

Last Edited by atmilatos at 28 Aug 16:07
LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

I have, on numerous occasions, asked for startup between 20 and 25 minutes before the filed EOBT, in very different places. This has never been a problem. Have never tried any earlier though. To be honest, with autorouter, nowadays it has become so easy to change the EOBT, so one rarely really needs to exceed that.

I understand it is a bit different nowadays with the dreaded airport-CDM procedures. But again, it has become easy to adjust your EOBT just as needed, so the CDM problem rarely becomes a factor.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Aug 16:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

No CTOT known.

I was surprised they insisted on th EOBT minus 10 mins. One can depart at EOBT minus 15 mins (I believe one can delay till EOBT plus 30 mins) which means one should be able to get a startup clearance some time before that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It could have been due to coordination with the next sector (ie their willingness or otherwise to accept you before a certain time). I’ve sometimes had to sit and wait at Cambridge for a few minutes because of coordination with Stansted.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

I believe one can delay till EOBT plus 30 mins

Actually your FPL will get suspended at EOBT+15 min. That has been discussed here before and is documented in the IFPS user guide IIRC.

The good news is that all it takes to re-activate your FPL is to delay it.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 28 Aug 22:03
LFPT, LFPN

I have, on numerous occasions, asked for startup between 20 and 25 minutes before the filed EOBT, in very different places.

Me too. Mostly in France. Never been turned down. But I must admit I am a little timid about doing that kind of stuff. Not following the rules.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 28 Aug 22:07
LFPT, LFPN

Your start is somewhat irrelevant unless airport regs limit that to a certain time before EOBT. The question is when they let you taxi.

EGTK Oxford

I asked early startup at Dresden EDDC (about 40 min before EOBT) and they offered me to move FPL to actual time and after that I got permission. It’s usually related with airport regulations (noise, pollution etc.) if not limited by CTOT.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message