Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New Resource - Map of Customs Airfields in Europe (merged)

Maybe yes.

Personally I feel the customs / immigration mess in Europe should to be properly addressed by EASA or by their boss, the EC to define and enforce standardized procedures for all countries with clear definitions and infrastructure on how to fulfil the border point formalities. Frankly, for those of us who need border crossing often, the current situation is unacceptable for any kind of infrastructure. At least it should be standardized per country and the access to the forms properly set forth in the respective AIP.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Is that what you are looking for?

Point de Passage frontarlier list 2.November 2017

No, that’s the list of “points de passage frontarliers”… not useful for customs purposes.

I am thinking the list of customs clearance points will never come, despite what was announced in the new French arrêté from 24/10/2017.

A shame. It would have been useful to have a definitive list, especially for flights between France and Switzerland. The information is the AIP does not seem to be very trustworthy…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Nov 10:53
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

but nothing has appeared so far.

There are, for a fact, several airfileds that are no “point de passage frontarlier” amymore, but are still customs airfelds, particularly along the Swiss border.

I think that when ever the list of French customs airports is made available, we will find that the French ports of entry is a subset of the French customs airports. I cannot imagine a port of entry without customs. That would allow you to fly only to something like Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and the United Kingdom, ie. countries outside Schengen but in the EU. Bulgaria and Romania are about to join Schengen…

Among those that should be on the list of customs airports which are not ports of entry, I expect to find Pontoise, Toussus-le-Noble and Annemasse

LFPT, LFPN

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Frankly, for those of us who need border crossing often, the current situation is unacceptable for any kind of infrastructure.

Join the EU or merge with UK – they are EU (for now), you are Schengen :-)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

boscomantico wrote:
There are, for a fact, several airfileds that are no “point de passage frontarlier” amymore, but are still customs airfelds, particularly along the Swiss border.

Yes and I wonder how these can be found… they are not included in this list.

Unfortunately I do not know of a list of airfields that only provide customs. The only thing I can think of is to look at the AIP AD for each of the aerodromes to see whether there is any customs service in “Hours of operations” section.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 07 Nov 14:02
LFPT, LFPN

Agree Aviathor. Immigration only, without customs, does not seem to exist in France. But nothing is impossible.. in Germany, we have exactly the opposite situation, i.e. at several airfields one can do a Schengen-entry, but no EU-entry. But the other way around doesn’t exist here.

Re new countries joining Schengen, I have become skeptical. Look at the Croatia outcome. No country has joined Schengen in the last 10 years. The socio-political climate doesn’t help.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Nov 13:19

Italy also has immigration without customs e.g. here and here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Et le petit Prince dit: “Dessine-moi l’Europe”

Jean
EBST, Belgium

boscomantico wrote:

No country has joined Schengen in the last 10 years.

I know it is nitpicking, but Poland joined on December 21, 2007, so just under 10 years ;-) And I believe Liechtenstein joined in 2011, but that’s the exception proving the rule.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

boscomantico wrote:

But nothing is impossible.. in Germany, we have exactly the opposite situation, i.e. at several airfields one can do a Schengen-entry, but no EU-entry. But the other way around doesn’t exist here.

Well, in that case it means you can only use those airports if there is “nothing to declare”. But it would also mean that if you get caught with something to declare, you would get a hefty fine. So they might check you anyway.

Is that the way it works?

Last Edited by Aviathor at 08 Nov 21:08
LFPT, LFPN

No. If the AIP (VFR) doesn’t mention “customs”, you can’t land there coming from outside the EU. You can’t just land there and say “well, I don’t have anything to delcare anyway, hence I don’t Need customs”. German customs simply don’t reach out to those airfields, but they would have to, in order to be able to make spot checks.

Yet many of these airfields without customs allow a Schengen-entry. In some of these cases, the AFISO or other staff can do the passport check, but in most cases, the airfield will send the details to the local Bundespolizei who will then decide whether they come out to check the documents or not.

And then there are those airfields where you can’t do any of this, not even a Schengen entry. This applies to the vast majority of airfields, but we are talking the very small provincial one here. Similar as in France.

Sign in to add your message